We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78235 times)

kris

Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2021, 12:52:08 AM »
Here are a few handselected namless clones from a specimen of Japanese. Unfortunately he had to sell all his plants.
I think his best 18 clones comes to collectors in europe.

Here are a few of them, which are in my collection.
Very attractive flowers Mellifera specially the dark purple double H. japonica
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Carsten

« Reply #226 on: March 03, 2021, 08:15:18 AM »
Very nice Herman.

I have attached a picture from my garden taken last May. Right now all my hepaticas are under 2 feet of snow. Unlike yours when the plants emerge in May most leaves are destroyed by the very cold weather.
That´s worth waiting for May ;-)
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #227 on: March 03, 2021, 08:38:03 AM »
Very nice Herman.

I have attached a picture from my garden taken last May. Right now all my hepaticas are under 2 feet of snow. Unlike yours when the plants emerge in May most leaves are destroyed by the very cold weather.
Kris, that picture gives good prospects for May!
Belgium

Carsten

« Reply #228 on: March 03, 2021, 11:53:29 AM »
Thank you Carsten. Do you know where 'Topaz Star' was found?
Hermann, I like 'Red Max'. Can you maybe make another photo, where we can see the truth red..?
Southern Bavaria, close to the Alps.
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #229 on: March 03, 2021, 05:52:07 PM »

That's really something to look fwd to Kris! Here it starts a bit earlier, April usually depending on the weather. In years with bad winters also the foliage can be quite not nice looking by then.
You seem to have a lot of space in shade which is nice; I could never have so many plants of the same clone, shade is at a premium.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #230 on: March 03, 2021, 06:57:02 PM »
Thank you Carsten. Do you know where 'Topaz Star' was found?
Hermann, I like 'Red Max'. Can you maybe make another photo, where we can see the truth red..?
Patrick, here another picture of 'Red Max', the flower is still growing. It is very difficult to get the true colour.
Belgium

mellifera

« Reply #231 on: March 03, 2021, 07:33:11 PM »
Thank you Carsten.
Good colour Herman! And also a good grower!

mellifera

« Reply #232 on: March 03, 2021, 07:35:39 PM »
Hepatia japonica 'Haato no Kingu'
and with 'Aozora'
Hepatica nobilis filled with antheres!
Hepatica nobilis dark blue with blue antheres

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #233 on: March 03, 2021, 08:09:28 PM »
Very nice hepática with anthers melifera
We tend to discuss different shades of blue / red and it is difficult to get a feeling for the “true” colour.
I remember an old discussion about references. Would it be easier to understand a colour if references like the blue cola can or the red cola can or the blue bag of potato chips? Not pretty but some colours are actually global and can be used as a reference to understand where the colours are in reality.
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

kris

« Reply #234 on: March 04, 2021, 04:29:03 PM »
That's really something to look fwd to Kris! Here it starts a bit earlier, April usually depending on the weather. In years with bad winters also the foliage can be quite not nice looking by then.
You seem to have a lot of space in shade which is nice; I could never have so many plants of the same clone, shade is at a premium.
Hi Gabriela like many gardeners I also like to grow many plants in limited space. The area where the Hepatica grows have 3 large hostas. Once the Hosta starts growing the hepaticas will be finished flowering . They grow under the hosta. That way I can grow more plants. 
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Gabriela

« Reply #235 on: March 04, 2021, 08:03:09 PM »
The first one is particularly handsome Mellifera.

Hi Gabriela like many gardeners I also like to grow many plants in limited space. The area where the Hepatica grows have 3 large hostas. Once the Hosta starts growing the hepaticas will be finished flowering . They grow under the hosta. That way I can grow more plants. 

I imagined there are other dormant plants in the area Kris. I was referring to the fact that you have the same Hepatica in great numbers. It must be a clone which grows well for you.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #236 on: March 04, 2021, 08:11:40 PM »
Very nice hepática with anthers melifera
We tend to discuss different shades of blue / red and it is difficult to get a feeling for the “true” colour.
I remember an old discussion about references. Would it be easier to understand a colour if references like the blue cola can or the red cola can or the blue bag of potato chips? Not pretty but some colours are actually global and can be used as a reference to understand where the colours are in reality.

If you really need to be that precise about flower colors Joakim, then use a color system with the associated codes - most used for digital images is RGB.
Anything else cannot be used as a 'reference' (not everyone has the same blue bag of chips, or having cola cans handy to watch them and so on....).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #237 on: March 04, 2021, 08:35:28 PM »
Gabriela the colour codes are for sure the best way, but most people do not have them. My point was to use the global brands that are very demanding on the tone of the colour. So it is needed to be a global one and not just anyone. I just did not wanted to give any free publicity to them. Blue can and the blue bag is from the same company and the red is the opposite company.
I might test the blue ones when my hepaticas flowers. Still it is always difficult with colours as the light and the camera as well as the display influence the appearance of colour.

I finally saw some blue from the hepaticas and the sun is out just that the temperature dropped a bit so hope for higher temperature so we get the flowers up and flowering.
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

kris

« Reply #238 on: March 04, 2021, 11:12:08 PM »
The first one is particularly handsome Mellifera.

I imagined there are other dormant plants in the area Kris. I was referring to the fact that you have the same Hepatica in great numbers. It must be a clone which grows well for you.
You are right. They are self seeded ones and this one flowers profusely.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #239 on: March 06, 2021, 10:28:33 AM »
Very nice Hepaticas everyone. Here all are still under snow, but not long to wait now.
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal