We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78292 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2021, 09:50:17 PM »
Yesterday the flowers of this seedling were fully blossomed.

You only need to find a good name for it now!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2021, 09:57:47 PM »
Hepatica x schlyteri inside and in the garden.

Nice. Would this cross always deliver plants with large flowers Carsten?

The nobilis doubles are also very nice. Rubra Plena is about the only cv. available to buy here but not the blue, or any other cultivars.
I have few seedlings raised from a Plena nobilis form and they look like having a flowering bud. I try to contain my enthusiasm though, I know they may not flower with multi flowers.
Do some of H. nobilis cultivars with filled flowers form seeds more than others?

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Carsten

« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2021, 10:24:47 PM »
Nice. Would this cross always deliver plants with large flowers Carsten?

The nobilis doubles are also very nice. Rubra Plena is about the only cv. available to buy here but not the blue, or any other cultivars.
I have few seedlings raised from a Plena nobilis form and they look like having a flowering bud. I try to contain my enthusiasm though, I know they may not flower with multi flowers.
Do some of H. nobilis cultivars with filled flowers form seeds more than others?

The flowers are not that large, but in my view better than those of maxima, as they stand above the very large leaves. I only made two crosses that are flowering size so far.
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

Carsten

« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2021, 10:35:17 PM »

Mostly cultivars with filled flowers are not that easy to get pollen from and you will rarely get results with the first generation. Sometimes you may be lucky to get single flowers at a fully double form - after replanting or other circumstances. Than you may pollinate them easily.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2021, 09:54:57 AM »
Herman, I hope they are growing well for you. I planted several of them in the garden in Oktober and even in November last year and they all start to bloom these days - and we had severe frost this winter!
Carsten, good to hear that they survived the late frost. So they are probably hardy enough for the garden.
Are they all sterile or can you cross pollinate them with other Hepatica's.
In the past H. maxima is not growing well in our garden. There were 3, coming from Edrom in 2019 and they are not visible yet. Reason: wrong place, snails..., I don't know. Previous year I had some new one Hepatica maxima BSWJ 4344 (also from Edrom), this clone seems to grow better in our garden. I had some seeds from this one, till now no germination, but they still can come.

Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2021, 07:28:28 PM »
Thank you Carsten.
The seeds of double form were gifted to me so I don't know even what generation were the mother plants. I'll just have to wait a bit more to see what's going to be.

The Hepaticas I brought inside to flower under lights are starting to flower :) it is not as nice as having them under sun, also the pictures cannot be as nice, but
our winter considered, I allow this indulgence.
A salmon color H. japonica

The patterned leaves forms are usually among the first to flower (they were very slow to grow and increase from seeds)
681185-1
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2021, 07:52:03 PM »
A salmon color H. japonica

How nice color! Special in my eyes. It is so nice to have flowers already now inside, it makes the season longer.
Leena from south of Finland

kris

« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2021, 11:21:16 PM »
The salmon colour Hepatica is very nice!!
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

mellifera

« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2021, 08:13:32 AM »
Gabriela, the first one looks very cute!
Look in the internet, maybe Hepatica japonica 'Momosango' is very similar to yours..

mellifera

« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2021, 05:58:34 PM »
Carsten, is 'Topaz Star' a breded plant?

Gabriela

« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2021, 06:50:19 PM »
Thanks Leena and Kris, right now I welcome them in any color!

Also thanks Mellifera - when it fades a bit and gets lighter might look like Momosango, but the batch of seeds from which it was grown was unnamed. Beside the salmon color I obtained two pink forms (a light pink and a really deep pink form).

With the huge variation in colors H. japonica provides (and not only colors) I noticed there is a bit of over-enthusiasm in naming all seedlings (in my opinion). I don't even know if there are records for all named plants during the years, probably it would have been impossible.

For today, the only fragrant H. japonica seedling I have (ex. Murasaki).

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2021, 07:32:27 PM »
Gabriela  - Congratulations, the Hepaticas you posted are quite something.  I'm salvating over that salmon beauty.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gabriela

« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2021, 11:53:48 PM »
Gabriela  - Congratulations, the Hepaticas you posted are quite something.  I'm salvating over that salmon beauty.
johnw

Thanks John, it is a good example of the beautiful things you get when grow from seeds :)
I only have the one salmon coloured, I'll keep an eye for seeds (I use a brush to pollinate), although it may not come true. But you could 'salivate' over an ex. Murasaki or a red form (will flower soon).
The plan is to keep one potted plant for each nice H. japonica seedling and the others will be shared. Plus I already planted some in the ground last year. If they survive good, if not, I will not persevere. There are many other more hardy Hepatica to grow and enjoy.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Carsten

« Reply #208 on: March 02, 2021, 07:23:35 AM »
Thanks John, it is a good example of the beautiful things you get when grow from seeds :)
I only have the one salmon coloured, I'll keep an eye for seeds (I use a brush to pollinate), although it may not come true. But you could 'salivate' over an ex. Murasaki or a red form (will flower soon).
The plan is to keep one potted plant for each nice H. japonica seedling and the others will be shared. Plus I already planted some in the ground last year. If they survive good, if not, I will not persevere. There are many other more hardy Hepatica to grow and enjoy.
Gabriela, salmonlike colour shades are so special. I like them very much. Absolutlely right! Growing from seed with Hepaticas is so much fun and easy when you are a bit patient. Keep crossing ;-)

Carsten

« Reply #209 on: March 02, 2021, 07:24:50 AM »
Carsten, is 'Topaz Star' a breded plant?
Patrick, it is a findling and a good example, that not all blue doubles are the same.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal