We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 78179 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #645 on: July 11, 2021, 09:04:13 PM »
Hepatica nobilis var. insularis stands in the shade of a hedge. Only one of the 3 plants survived, but I hope that seedlings will appear and that ants have done their job.

The clump looks quite healthy Herman and it seems that the foliage retains the marbling very well in the summer.
I think Hepatica insularis stands as species by itself being an endemic from Korea.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #646 on: July 12, 2021, 08:27:25 AM »
The clump looks quite healthy Herman and it seems that the foliage retains the marbling very well in the summer.
I think Hepatica insularis stands as species by itself being an endemic from Korea.
Gabriela, insularis is indeed endemic to Korea.
More specific: the southern coastal regions of the Korean Peninsula, the island of Cheju-do and other
offshore islands.
Insularis has indeed beautiful foliage.
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #647 on: July 13, 2021, 12:59:20 AM »
Gabriela, insularis is indeed endemic to Korea.
More specific: the southern coastal regions of the Korean Peninsula, the island of Cheju-do and other
offshore islands.
Insularis has indeed beautiful foliage.

We can assume then that it enjoys high humidity in the atmosphere, maybe you can install a small waterfall nearby :)
There is a place with a large waterfall surrounded by woodlands we visit once in a while and Hepatica acutiloba foliage always looks so fresh and beautiful there, even during the very dry and hot summers.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #648 on: July 13, 2021, 08:08:24 AM »
Gabriela, you may be right. In the tufa rockpart (Garden 34b (T)) I have created two small rivers also one in the lava (Garden 48 (L)). This is to increase the humidity for alpine plants in the stones. It never occurred to me to plant Hepatica's near the water. I can try some new Hepatica seedlings in the future nearby the water. At the end in picture Garden 42 (LRV&V) there is a pond also a place to try.
Ferns also like places like this, because I have to remove them a lot.
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #649 on: July 13, 2021, 09:57:27 PM »
It seems you already have good spots to try Herman! From our species, H. acutiloba would like for sure more moisture around the foliage.
I wouldn't try with H. americana which surely likes to grow on the drier side.
It is a reason why so very rare the both species are found growing together in a location, and even when it happens they are never close one to another.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #650 on: July 14, 2021, 09:18:42 AM »
Thank you Gabriela, I will try H. acutiloba near the water.
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #651 on: September 12, 2021, 09:33:16 PM »
With the fall arrival the Hepaticas are starting to attract attention again :) I also noticed swollen buds on the few potted plants.

Hepatica americana with Maianthemum racemosum in the woods. They are looking much better than the ones in  my garden.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #652 on: September 13, 2021, 07:54:43 AM »
With the fall arrival the Hepaticas are starting to attract attention again :) I also noticed swollen buds on the few potted plants.

Hepatica americana with Maianthemum racemosum in the woods. They are looking much better than the ones in  my garden.
(Attachment Link)
Gabriela, the hepatica leaves look nice. Here many leaves have already withered, but flower buds are already visible.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #653 on: September 14, 2021, 03:59:34 PM »
Hepatica nobilis or americana?
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #654 on: September 17, 2021, 07:59:24 PM »
Hepatica nobilis or americana?

You are asking an impossible question Herman!
Nothing to do but wait and check the flowers anthers in the spring.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #655 on: September 17, 2021, 10:45:08 PM »
You are asking an impossible question Herman!
Nothing to do but wait and check the flowers anthers in the spring.
Gabriela thank you for your opinion.
Gabriela, this are the leaves from the Hepatica americana 'Rosea' at this moment. I have this plant from seeds from a friend. He says: origin 1990 of Kitty Pittman, grew up with her in the forest in America for 20 years. But the connective is pink. So I changed the name in Hepatica nobilis 'Rosea'.
I don't know if Kitty Pittman has nobilis and americana in her forest.
The second picture is also named Hepatica americana 'Rosea' from a nursery in the Netherlands, but it has also pink connective.
Probably in Europe most Hepatica americana 'Rosea' are of the same origin somewhere and should they all called H. nobilis 'Rosea'.
I posted the photo of the leaves again to hear some reactions.
It seems that very few people on this forum think more deeply about the correctness of a Hepatica name.
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #656 on: September 19, 2021, 12:01:27 AM »
Ah, I remember about these plants Herman, you showed them in the spring.

You know my opinion, not H. americana. I've seen hundreds specimens in the wild by now and none had colorful connectives.
It could also be a hybrid. Once in the trade under a name, it is very hard to make people change their labels. And some actually don't care about the labels.

You notice that even in this forum there aren't that many people interested in Hepatica actually. Due to the fact that they flower shortly in the spring, are small in size and don't have very large flowers, probably do not make them very interesting plants for many.

One has to have a special, innate inclination for Hepaticas :))
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #657 on: September 19, 2021, 09:12:59 AM »
It seems that very few people on this forum think more deeply about the correctness of a Hepatica name.

You notice that even in this forum there aren't that many people interested in Hepatica actually. Due to the fact that they flower shortly in the spring, are small in size and don't have very large flowers, probably do not make them very interesting plants for many.

Please don't mistake silence for lack of interest.  I love this thread but prefer to lurk & learn :), as probably others do too.
So thank you both for posting lovely plants and discussing what they are.  I for one particularly enjoy seeing the plants in the wild and their variability.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #658 on: September 19, 2021, 09:46:56 AM »

:o
As I write this, 32,805 people have read these pages for Hepaticas 2021 - that seems a pretty good level of  interest  to me!  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #659 on: September 19, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »

:o
As I write this, 32,805 people have read these pages for Hepaticas 2021 - that seems a pretty good level of  interest  to me!  :D
Maggi, indeed a lot of views. But I think that it is about a few people who always are looking back at this topic (I do this). The number of people posting photos or text on this topic had been decreasing in recent years. Sometimes  I reread the other years of the Hepatica’s and dream again about the new flowering season.
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal