We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2021  (Read 79920 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Hepatica 2021
« Reply #615 on: May 17, 2021, 09:15:51 AM »
Gabriela, I couldn't be more happy with them!
Leena from south of Finland

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #616 on: May 17, 2021, 05:50:04 PM »
Nice to see great success with seeds giving rise to flowering plants

I am now trying to figure out where to plant my hepaticas
The present place has been extended further out in the "grass"
The photo is looking straight south and in the east it is huge conifers giving morning shade.
Sun is there only in the afternoon.
The further away from the hedge the more of the sun it will get.
Is it so that transsylvanica likes sun more than nobilis? in that case I will by having transsylvanicas furthest away from the hedge.
Is it so that either of the two are more prone to get problems with draught? If so then they should be planted further away from the conifers.
I placed the seedlings in between the conifers and the hedge so they get almost constant dappled light only
The Cat Pixel is guarding against any diggers
The crown jewels are my double nobilis and two named transsylvanicas so those 4 must get a good spot and the rest will get as good as possible.
So far I had nobilis further away from the conifer and the nobilis are doing well. Should I mix the plants by colour or subspieces?
How have You done? How would You plant if you were me?  Have in mind that I am playing with 3 square meters.

Thanks for input
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #617 on: May 19, 2021, 08:18:24 PM »
Joakim, many times there has been mention of the fact that Hepatica (all species) needs shaded locations! especially in regards with the afternoon sun.
I also shown pictures with H. transsilvanica in the habitat, growing in dense shade after trees leaved out.

The only time when they enjoy the sun is in early spring when they flower.
So, I have nothing else to add but wish you good luck.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #618 on: June 29, 2021, 07:51:52 PM »
Even if this is a flowery time of the year, I thought that it may be useful to also show Hepaticas during the summer. We mostly post sun drenched spring pictures when they flower and some people may get a wrong impression regarding their growing requirements.

Mainly H. acutiloba, plus a H. nobilis fo. crenatuloba (maiden form) growing under a Carya tree, there is also a Calycanthus floridus nearby. Other species growing in the same spot are Galanthus and Viola odorata fo. alba, plus few ferns.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #619 on: June 29, 2021, 10:06:28 PM »
Gabriela, you are right! Hepatica's can have nice leaves in the summer in the shade. The crenatuloba form looks beautiful. He looks a bit like 'Cremar'.
Here, the seedlings that have chosen a sunnier place have their leaves damaged by the sun and heat (dehydratation).
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #620 on: June 30, 2021, 07:31:05 AM »
Gabriela, your plants look so fresh an healthy. Very nice looking leaf forms!
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

« Reply #621 on: June 30, 2021, 08:55:26 PM »
Thanks Herman and Leena.
Yes, I also think the marbled one looks like Cremar, but who knows, it was a stray seedling from a batch of some H. nobilis.

I water during very dry periods and is a narrow bed so unfortunately I cannot plant more. Because I plant dense, I cannot see how I will keep all plants when they grow more.
I already have (in another narrow bed) H. acutiloba fo. rosea which is in need of more soil badly. The flowers were smaller than usual this spring.

One needs to be inventive to create more suitable spaces for Hepatica I think. For ex. I am trying H. nobilis var. pyrenaica beneath a large Helleborus :)
In early spring I have to cut some of the leaves anyway, so more light is allowed in that spot (plus the sun has a different inclination).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #622 on: July 01, 2021, 06:51:48 PM »
Gabriela, I always cut the leaves of my Helleborus in September.
Belgium

Jeffnz

« Reply #623 on: July 01, 2021, 09:01:55 PM »
I remove all leaves when the flowerer spikes start to develop. helps reduce fungus disease, and to achieve a better flower display especially for plants that have a reduced stalk length. In out r climate hellebores do remain in leaf all year round.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #624 on: July 04, 2021, 02:03:48 PM »
Here are some pictures from places were I grow Hepatica. You know that in the names of my pictures are always a letter code referring to parts in the garden. So welcome in our garden. Now all the hedges have been trimmed. The shrubs are giving shade in the summer.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #625 on: July 04, 2021, 02:10:59 PM »
Not only Hepatica, but also Trillium, Cyclamen, Erythronium, Galanthus, Roscoea....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 02:15:39 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #626 on: July 04, 2021, 02:19:41 PM »
Here Cornus florida ‘Rainbow’ died for a part because of a few dry summers. So a part of the Hepatica's get more sun as you can see on the leaves, but they recover in the spring (till now). 
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #627 on: July 04, 2021, 02:23:32 PM »
The Hepatica leaves stay better with more shade.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #628 on: July 04, 2021, 02:27:06 PM »
Another garden in the garden (OBW). So you always need to go around to see and discover everything.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 02:28:49 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #629 on: July 04, 2021, 02:30:42 PM »
Going further to another part.
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal