We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seeds in the Fridge  (Read 1325 times)

Tristan_He

Seeds in the Fridge
« on: December 12, 2020, 01:56:33 PM »
Well of course I'm sure most of us store our packets of seed in the fridge. But here is my new toy, for promoting germination.

Our winters here in north-west Wales are increasingly mild and wet. Last winter we had only a handful of frosts. So I have decided to get a fridge to control the moisture over winter for groups that I have had little success with in the cold frame, especially Fritillaria and Gentiana.

So far the fritillaries seem to like it, and the seed I had from Oron in the summer has already germinated and is back in the conservatory where I can keep an eye on it (I think maybe I used to lose a lot of seedlings to slugs in the cold frame). We'll see about the gentians...

Kathy1987

Re: Seeds in the Fridge
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 05:16:42 PM »
Hi Tristan,

since I forced my gardening activities my man thought it would be nice to buy another, little fridge, so my seeds won’t take too much space in the other one 😂

And he has a place to store worms for fishing (Before they escape and crawl around between the vegetables 😳).

Have a nice weekend!

Kathy

Menai

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »
I started doing this some years ago with mixed success mainly because my fridge was many years old with a basic thermostat so that if it did get cold in the garage the whole fridge froze. Some things tended to germinate when we were away and then collapsed in the dark. I have some allium seed in there now to come out after Christmas.
Useful for wine in the summer!

Erle in Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 09:48:48 PM »
As I reported in an earlier post, the fridge has been a roaring success for Fritillaria. It has also vastly improved germination with Gentiana, which also seems to need a cold spell to get going, but is prone to rotting, smothering by liverworts and mosses, and slug predation in the cold frame. In the past, I've often had little or no germination with these.

683379-0

Gentiana dinarica

683381-1

Gentiana verna

Gentiana orbicularis

Phyteuma is another genus that seems to need to be sown in autumn and given a cold period. These are P. scheuchzeri.

Tristan_He

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 11:38:02 PM »
The other group I've tried in the fridge are Pinguicula. The temperate species need a cold period to germinate, but outdoors the pots are liable to be smothered by mosses and liverworts, especially because they need to be kept moist. The cold and dark provided by the fridge seems to have worked very well, certainly I've never had results like this before.

685600-0

Pinguicula leptoceras

685602-1

Pinguicula longifolia

685604-2

...and just a few P. balcanica.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal