We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pulsatilla from seed  (Read 4495 times)

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
Pulsatilla from seed
« on: December 08, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »
Hello,
I would like to know what your experiences with Pulsatilla seeds are like. For ir it fluctuates from 100% to 0% Fresh seeds sown in summer or early autumn germinated after about 2 weeks without problems. I had the one in the winter garden with high daytime temperatures and a strong day / night reduction. I got semen again 3 weeks ago. I had it in the living room at around 20 ° for 2 weeks, ... nothing :-( Then I wanted to spend another 2 weeks in the unheated winter garden (around 10 - 15 °) and then outside. Now, 1 has germinated in the winter garden . Of course I leave this pot. What was the trigger? Should I try the 20 ° in the living room again? Should I provide (heating) strong day / night cooling in the winter garden?
Are there differences between the different types?
Please tell me about your experiences as fresh semen is unfortunately not always available.
greetings
Bernd
Oh yes, almost forgot: light germs or dark germs?
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Pulsatilla from seed
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 09:07:03 PM »
I always sow Pulsatilla seeds when I get them and place them in my cool greenhouse. Some batches do germinate in fall but most germinate during winter/early spring. The greenhouse is not frost free but usually we don't have many days/nights with frost here.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 09:17:53 PM »
thanks for your informations :-)

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »
Hi Bernd, as they are Ranunculaceae which tend to be short-lived, I usually sow Pulsatilla as soon as I get them. I usually break off the plumes in case these act as a source of rot, though I don't know if this is necessary.

Generally if the seed is fresh it comes up as long as the weather is not too cold. I've never experimented with triggers though, sorry.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas, Tristan

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 03:16:49 PM »
I always sow Pulsatilla seeds when I get them and place them in my cool greenhouse. Some batches do germinate in fall but most germinate during winter/early spring. The greenhouse is not frost free but usually we don't have many days/nights with frost here.

Hello hoy,
this year I did it as you wrote it ... and it works very well :-)
This year all sown species came one after the other :-)
I even have the impression that they germinate and grow better at currently 15 ° C and additional lighting than at room temperature.
greetings
Bernd
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:18:34 PM by Catwheazle »

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 12:55:50 AM »
Was going to start a thread on these and saw this one.

Found these instructions.

For indoors sowing, cover seed to a depth of about 4 times the minimum seed dimension.  (This is not a strict rule: most seeds have ambivalent light requirements and may be surface sown regardless of size. Keep at 18-22°C (65-72 DEGREES) for 2-4 weeks.

Cold stratification is required for 8 weeks, followed by exposure to warmth, after which germination is usually complete within a month or less.

I'm going to surface sow on top of leaf compost. After two weeks of warm, damp period. They will either go into basement or fridge for the 8 weeks of Cold stratification. I will then put each seed that looks plump into single cups filled with leaf compost/sand mix(seeds lightly covered with leaf compost). I did soak the seeds for 24hrs in water before placing seeds on top of screened leaf compost.

Pulsatilla patens

Pulsatilla alpina ssp. apiifolia

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 01:59:16 AM by Guff »

Pauli

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 06:23:17 AM »
If you really get fresh seed, there is no cold stratification necessary. Sow them at once and they germinate immediately (usually June here in Austria, best temperatures 20 - 25°C). For stored seed let nature work, but I get very much better results with fresh seed. As with most Ranunculaceae.......
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Tristan_He

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 07:31:00 AM »
If you really get fresh seed, there is no cold stratification necessary. Sow them at once and they germinate immediately (usually June here in Austria, best temperatures 20 - 25°C). For stored seed let nature work, but I get very much better results with fresh seed. As with most Ranunculaceae.......

Totally agree Herbert. Fresh is best!

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 02:41:55 PM »
Pulsatilla Patens are germinating.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 02:34:04 AM »
Temps here are in the 45's for a few days. What I'm wondering is, if I dig a bed and sow some seeds, should the seeds be soaked for 24hrs or planted as is? Thinking I would cover with leaves to help with heaving.

Thanks for info.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 10:04:31 PM »
Bed almost done. Still need to add compost to the gravel and rocks and mound up dirt around the bed.

Bed is 2ft x 3ft and 15 inches deep. Had dug down another 10 inches to loosen and turn over the clay and left it.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 02:26:24 AM »
Putting into single 16 oz cups.  Do I add more compost up to the white section of the seedling?

Jeffnz

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 02:41:57 AM »
I envy your soil that allows you to dig to 15 inches, wat is the soil type?
Jeff

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 02:52:19 AM »
Jeff it's clay type soil. It took 7 wheel barrels of compost to fill back in. Screening the leaf compost with an old fan housing. Then I use a fine window screen for a top layer for the seeds.

Digging the bed didn't take long, filling it back in did.............lots of screening
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 02:54:08 AM by Guff »

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2021, 06:26:27 PM »
Planted one packet of each in the bed.  Pulsatilla alpina ssp. apiifolia were soaked in water overnight, Pulsatilla patens were planted as is out of packet.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal