We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS online plant show  (Read 6512 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
AGS online plant show
« on: January 13, 2007, 07:22:25 PM »
The AGS have been running an online "Show", where members could submit photos of plants in various classes. The plants had to be the property of the "exhibitor" but the photos could have been taken by another person, the show was for the plants/views, not the photograph as such.
There were entries scattered across the 85 or so classes and, on visiting the site today to see the results, I am delighted to offer here my congratulations to the Forum members who have had such a success in the show. There were many very successful entries from Members whose names I recognise as being SRGC members, too, but I shall only mention the Forumists here.  John (Greenmanplants) Humphries did well, as did Luc Gilgemyn, Charlotte Jacobson and Tony Goode. Please visit the AGS Site to see the "show" for yourselves. The page is this: http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/servlet/onlineshowservlet?command=visitshow&sitearea=onlineshow&category=2006

Can I just mention MY favourite entries? My first was, (predictably enough, perhaps, for those that know me) Luc's lovely shot of Rhododendron yakushimanun in the rhododendron class.  Also from Luc, I liked his pic of Narcissus bulbucodium x mesatlanticus, a photo taken in the garden in Belgium on 15.12.2006.

Have a look at the show and tell us which ones took your fancy.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

snowdropman

Re: AGS online plant show
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »
Hi Maggi - thanks for alerting us to this site/competition - a nice selection of photographs - my personal favourite was the Lewisia Magentas
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 08:37:21 PM »
Ooh, yes, they were very colourful, fine plants. It's an interesting concept, the online show; I hope they'll repeat it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »
It occurs to me now, that Martin Rogerson used to be an SRGC Forumist... he did VERY well in the online show, with about 26 tickets, lots of them firsts. Martin, are you re-registered with the new Forum?
Congrats, anyhow!

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 03:27:06 PM »
Thanks for the lovely congrats Maggi, you're making me blush... :-[
I do fancy my Rhodo Yaku a lot too - I'll make sure I post a new pic of this year's flowering on the forum.
And by the way I posted the prizewinning picture of Narcissus bulbocodium x mesatlanticus in the Narcissus thread on this forum as well.
I did enjoy this competition as well and hope the AGS will repeat it with even more contestants.

I'm waiting for them to send me the cup now...  ;D

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 10:42:19 AM by Maggi Young »
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 03:51:29 PM »
Maggi,

I had great intentions of a short lunch and heading back out to the garden for the afternoon but then I went to the AGS site to see the entries in the online competition and so am still sitting here as it approaches 4 o' clock. It's all your fault!

I'm going to dash out now as I told Lesley I'd post a photograph of Ranunculus creticus for her later today. Also, the dog could do with a walk.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »
So you did, Luc, I thought I'd seen that narcissus picture somewhere before.

Paddy, you should have walked poor Sid hours ago!

Martinr

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 06:12:39 PM »
Hi, I have to confess to being said Martin Rogerson and I am registered on the new forum just not active at the moment. I hope the AGS do the show again this year and that many more of you will get clicking this year and flood the virtual benches with prize winning plants. Now if only I could get that number of red stickers on a real bench! Can only dream.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 06:15:30 PM »
Welcome back, Martin. Good to know you're around.

And keep on with your dreams, as any good Scot will tell you, "hope costs nothing" !!
m

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 10:05:01 AM »
Maggi,

The dog got his walk, in the dark, off around the fields. It's good fun for him as the foxes are out and about at that time and he reguarly takes a mad dash off in pursuit of the scent. Never catches one though.

The AGS online competition is a great idea. As you said, I do hope they repeat it. If it comes around again I would like to enter. I have never entered any of the real-life competitions, haven't been inclined to grow much in pots preferring to grow outdoors as much as possible and also, I suppose, put off by the excellence of the plants on display at the shows. As  much as possible I go to the Dublin show. It really is an eye opener to see the high standard of cultivation on display as well as the range of plants not to be seen elsewhere. Of course, it is now possible to 'visit' many other shows via the internet. I really look forward to the show reports posted here on the forum, great treat altogether and many thanks to the reporters.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal