We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2020 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 6986 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: October 2020 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 07:36:58 PM »
Crocus sativus
(Attachment Link)
Nice-- do you get any harvest from this?

Ashley- that's a beauty-- if I recall the leaves are beautiful too?

Gabriela- lovely! Native trees here are pretty much all golden, though lots of other colours in understory- of course now the main colour is white!

Leena-- Disporum/Prosartes trachycarpa has brilliant gold here, have never grown any others; here it is way back on Sept 15.. seems I only got this one not so exciting shot, this year.
676246-0

Trond-- very cool plants from Roraima!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »
Reaching back to when it was still autumn ;) Oct 02-05

1- The smaller of my two Aralia racemosa-- this one is farther from any sheltering/heat holding objects, so a bit smaller, and yellowing sooner, though the fruit reached about the same level of (im)maturity.. with Prentanthes purpurea to the left, prob still some flowers at that time, Tiarella cordifolia lower right, etc; I think the dry, curled up foliage in front is the Disporum/Prosartes we were just talking about!

676252-0

2- The larger Aralia, with a hint of colour-- the bright spots may mostly be related to hail damaged areas!

676254-1

3,4- Cornus- stolonifera? the garden version of the Red Osier Dogwood, similar in all obvious ways to the native plants, but *much* larger- 2-3 metres tall and wider than that, in spite of serious moose pruning each year (not sure, but I think they may have already come for it since that photo! they are mainly winter workers in the yard)

676256-2

676258-3

5- Heterotheca villosa in seed; grown some years ago from wild seed collected in the montane zone..

676260-4

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2020, 08:37:34 PM »
Continuing...
1- Lamium ex cult; not sure of the exact origin of this one, growing on a rock garden side.. so far they are pleasant things in a couple of spots I have them, not at all overwhelming anything, long flowering season

676262-0

2- Malus /Apple

676264-1

3- Malva-- I've never quite pinned down a species on this... I think they are perennial ( sounds obvious, but not always easy to tell when there are multiple self-sowing plants!), at least several feet tall in my conditions (which are not that cushy).

676266-2

4- Sanguisorba sp Japan I have a couple of sp(?) from seed from Lisa Wesley, both with white flowers, I think one was named, one just sp Japan, now forget which is which, need to root in the soil for a label.. nice subtle, dark, bronzy fall colour

676268-3

5- Sorbus cf S. wilsoniana seedlings in ground. Not looking at their best on a dull day, but the colour is intense as Sorbus seem to tend to.

676270-4

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2020, 11:02:47 AM »
Some autumn colour

1. Corylus americana
2. + 3. Cornus kousa Satomi

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2020, 11:11:23 AM »
Ranunculus  bullatus from Andalucia

-  an easy species when a warm and dry summer rest given

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Mariette

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2020, 10:53:34 AM »
Splendid autumn colours and an unusual autumnal flower! Autumn colours of leaves are not always as good as in other years in our region, probably due to the unusual drought of recent years. Our morello cherry in the background surprises with glowing orange leaves - a winner of the change?

The first Galanthus reginae-olgae - lost under asters.

Crocus speciosus and Cyclamen hederifolium.

I´m not sure what to think of this crocus - some like this appeared in a group of Crocus speciosus, but lack the yellow anthers.

koneko

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2020, 03:14:17 PM »
Including some pictures from 2 weeks ago.

Caryopteris incana
Tripora divaricata
Tricyrtis hirta
Tricyrtis hirta forma alba
Diosporis kaki

(edit  by  maggi to add plant  names  to the  text  to enable  the  search function to find  the  images. )
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 05:09:10 PM by Maggi Young »

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »
Here this autumn has been so unusually warm! it is now almost end of October, and there has been only two or three night below freezing, and that only one or two degrees. Right now it is +11°C (and raining, it has rained a lot).
Asters have never flowered so long and well as this year. The first picture is 'Violetta' and second is Aster laevis 'Calliope' which is also late flowering here and doesn't mind the rain so much. Pictures are from last week.
Colchicum 'Poseidon' is the latest one I have, the others are now over.
Primula 'Vera Maud' flowering out of season.
Last week I made a new bed by the fence mostly for Hepaticas I had in pots, seedlings and some bigger plants. This spot is summer dry because of a big birch in neighbour's side of the fence (abandoned field).
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2020, 07:19:40 PM »
This month in IRG free e-mag: Martin Sheader with a report  on South American Adesmia species; the history of a well- known American plant, Calochortus lyallii – brought to us by Arthur MacKinnon of Washington State, USA;  Zdeněk Zvolánek & František Paznocht combine to introduce a Saxifraga cultivar.

Download  the  issue  here: https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2020Oct291603992737IRG130.pdf

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2020, 09:33:32 PM »
Some Autumn colour from earlier in the month

Polygonatum hookeri

676630-0

Berberis 'Rose Glow' enhanced by the neighbours' Sycamore

676632-1

Enkianthus campanulatus

676634-2

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2020, 12:06:52 AM »
This month in IRG free e-mag: Martin Sheader with a report  on South American Adesmia species; the history of a well- known American plant, Calochortus lyallii – brought to us by Arthur MacKinnon of Washington State, USA;  Zdeněk Zvolánek & František Paznocht combine to introduce a Saxifraga cultivar.

Download  the  issue  here: https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2020Oct291603992737IRG130.pdf

(Attachment Link)

Beautiful fall scenery from Julia and great articles; now that the days are getting shorter what better reads than the IRG-s? :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2020, 12:09:06 AM »
Some Autumn colour from earlier in the month
Polygonatum hookeri

What a fantastic view Roma. Hopefully my little one will expand with the same exuberance. Picture from more than a week ago:

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2020, 12:15:43 AM »
Here this autumn has been so unusually warm! it is now almost end of October, and there has been only two or three night below freezing, and that only one or two degrees. Right now it is +11°C (and raining, it has rained a lot).
Asters have never flowered so long and well as this year. The first picture is 'Violetta' and second is Aster laevis 'Calliope' which is also late flowering here and doesn't mind the rain so much. Pictures are from last week.
Colchicum 'Poseidon' is the latest one I have, the others are now over.
Primula 'Vera Maud' flowering out of season.
Last week I made a new bed by the fence mostly for Hepaticas I had in pots, seedlings and some bigger plants. This spot is summer dry because of a big birch in neighbour's side of the fence (abandoned field).

I am sure you will enjoy the new bed Leena. Speaking of Hepatica and new beds, here's a picture of yesterday when I was admiring the Hepaticas and their well formed flower buds.
Hepatica acutiloba and nobilis var. crenatuloba - a chance seedling

I also made in the summer a special place, a nursery, just for young Epimediums, Podophyllums and Hepaticas. I think they go well together.
Picture with one 'big baby' Podophyllum (pleianthum x versipelle I think).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2020, 03:38:37 PM »
Lots more great colour, everyone, and flowers :) the main fall colour here for a couple of weeks was white! It looked more like January than October with snow day after day and 30-40cm on the ground, but now we've had several days at or above average , so lots of melting, it's like having a second spring melt! Still lots of white around, but more warm days to come-- even a few forecast next week from 15-17!

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2020, 05:04:47 PM »
Cohan, weather is so unpredictable these days. Normally also here the first snow would come around this time, but not this year. I don't complain, there is still too much to do in the garden:).

Enkianthus campanulatus
Roma, that is very nice autumn red. I sowed the same plants last winter, they germinated in spring and now they have been the same red in autumn. I'm looking forward to them growing bigger and if they survive here, they would be a very nice autumn colour plants!

Speaking of Hepatica and new beds, here's a picture of yesterday when I was admiring the Hepaticas and their well formed flower buds.
Hepatica acutiloba and nobilis var. crenatuloba - a chance seedling

That is a very nice combination! It has almost spring-like light in the picture.
I should also make a proper nursery bed, now I try to put new plants from pots in between the existing plants, or just make a new bed which is nicer, but after a while I will have to move them when I have planted them too close to each other. Still, it is always so satisfying to have new seed grown plants to plant!
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal