We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2020 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 6849 times)

ArnoldT

Re: October 2020 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 05:02:23 PM »
Reverse of Dryopteris erythrosora  Autumn fern
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 06:46:47 PM »
Two photos of  Autumn scenery  in  Perthshire  Scotland. today - from SRGC President  Julia Corden

676094-0
Loch Dunmore near Pitlochry in  Highland Perthshire

Autumn in Highland Perthshire near Pitlochry
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 06:16:45 AM »
Rose & Symphytum look lovely together, Cohan!
In my garden, the asters are now mercifully covering the gaps left by the drought. Most of them are seedlings, but the red one on the left is A. n.-b. ´Royal Ruby´.

Thanks, Mariette-- I love the Symphytum flowers, but in this spot, they grow very well and very tall, then-- flop! I now chop them off a couple of times in the season.. I've planted a couple pieces in tougher spots, maybe they will stay upright!
Nice selection of Asters you have! I have many, but all natives, with less variation in colour.

Yann -- nice views and fungi! There are many interesting ones here, too, along with lichens and mosses, I treasure these other inhabitants of forest and meadow :)

Leena-- Cimicifuga is looking great! I think we had some light frosts, but it is hard to be sure since I don't have anything that is greatly affected by light frosts..lol Around the 11-12th I think we had some stronger frost, since the Aralia finally gave up! Then on the 13th, snow! Pictures to come very soon, but the change was dramatic, from autumn to winter in a day-- 10cm or so then, and more a couple of days later, now up to 30cm or more on the ground, it is very white, and tonight forecast for -18C.. 5 more chances of snow this week....

Herman-- lovely Alstroememeria!

Gabriela-- I have never tried any autumn flowering bulbs, probably all too late for this climate, but interesting to see growing in other places..lol

Trond-- is that Begonia outdoors all year there? I know there are a couple of quite hardy ones..

John-- xGordlinia is interesting-- looks more like something that should flower in spring, rather than fall..

Rudi-- Poncirus is very pretty!

Arnold-- nature's lovely and efficient engineering :)

Maggi-- lovely views!

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 12:52:52 PM »
Crocus sativus
676108-0

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »
What glorious autumn colours Maggi 8)

There don't seem to be any carnivorous threads so I'll post this here.  Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionasii is flowering here for the first time, since early July. 
Not having a tuning fork to hand I tried cutting off some of the enclosed, tube-like anthers then halving them & dusting the cut ends on the briefly-receptive stigma of a later flower.  At least one ovary is swelling now but it remains to be seen whether any viable seeds result.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 10:40:43 PM »
What glorious autumn colours Maggi 8)

There don't seem to be any carnivorous threads so I'll post this here.  Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionasii is flowering here for the first time, since early July. 
Not having a tuning fork to hand I tried cutting off some of the enclosed, tube-like anthers then halving them & dusting the cut ends on the briefly-receptive stigma of a later flower.  At least one ovary is swelling now but it remains to be seen whether any viable seeds result.

What a beautiful pitcher plant Ashley! I had to google for it.There are not many carnivorous plants with such handsome flowers.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 10:43:47 PM »
Brilliant fall colors everywhere: in public parks, in the garden and of course in the woods :)

Hydrastis canadensis

Viburnum acerifolium
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »

Trond-- is that Begonia outdoors all year there? I know there are a couple of quite hardy ones..

Cohan,

I have not had this Begonia for more than a few months. So I haven't tried it outside during the winter yet. But it should be hardy.

I had however a couple begonias outside for several years and they survived nicely. They succumbed to death one very cold winter some years ago though.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 11:47:18 AM »

Very nice, Ashley!

Remember seeing some similar ones on Mount Roraima in Venezuela when I was there several years ago.

Hoy

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2020, 11:49:18 AM »
Brilliant fall colors everywhere: in public parks, in the garden and of course in the woods :)

Very brilliant indeed, Gabriela.

Such colouring is rare here at the coast. (And we still haven't had frost either.)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2020, 04:43:36 PM »
Thanks Gabriela, that's a fabulous show.  Maples?  Autumn here is usually more muted due to smaller day/night temperature differences & often stormy weather. 
Yes heliamphoras generally have large, robust & very long-lived sepals that gradually revert to green.  Perhaps they do more than just advertise to pollinators, e.g. sheltering the stigma & anthers from heavy rain.   

Trond, I remember your fine photos of heliamphoras in habitat with carnivorous bromeliads (Brocchinia/Catopsis?), a showy pink/red Utricularia & many other plants new to me.  The tepuis must be wonderful to visit with their unique or even endemic biota, like islands scattered across an ocean of forest/savannah.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 08:02:35 PM »
Wonderful autumn colours! Here it is nothing like that.
Gabriela, Hydrastis canadensis is very nice yellow, it is a plus for any perennial to have good autumn colour:).
in my garden I like ostrich ferns (Matteuccia struthiopteris) when they are dyeing for the winter. They are good in spring when they come up, then in the summer they are so majestic and now in autumn also good.
Prosartes hookeri doesn't have any special colour but it is a nice plants anyway. This is a young plant which hasn't flowered yet.
Leena from south of Finland

Gabriela

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2020, 12:40:50 AM »
Trond and Ashley and Leena - the maples are the ones responsible for the brilliance, mainly A. rubrum, A. saccharum and A. x freemanii and their cultivars, usually selected for smaller, compact growth and reliable fall coloration.

Yes, the perennials which turn beautiful before going dormant bring a plus to the garden Leena, they make a nice contrast with the evergreens like Helleborus and Epimediums. Your Prosartes may turn yellow later, I have a young P. lanuginosa doing it, also most Solomon's Seals are turning golden, Gillenia, Maianthemum, Uvularia...to mention just a few coming fast to my mind.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Hoy

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 02:27:09 PM »

Trond, I remember your fine photos of heliamphoras in habitat with carnivorous bromeliads (Brocchinia/Catopsis?), a showy pink/red Utricularia & many other plants new to me.  The tepuis must be wonderful to visit with their unique or even endemic biota, like islands scattered across an ocean of forest/savannah.

Yes, thanks. That was en extraordinary trip! I would love to go there once more.

A few reminders:

Hoy

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2020, 02:30:39 PM »
Trond and Ashley and Leena - the maples are the ones responsible for the brilliance, mainly A. rubrum, A. saccharum and A. x freemanii and their cultivars, usually selected for smaller, compact growth and reliable fall coloration.

Gabriela,

No autumn colouring of the native Acer platanoides (Norway maple) here yet. Though I know it is getting yellow and orange on  the other side of the mountains!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal