We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aquatics  (Read 4950 times)

Michael

Aquatics
« on: May 18, 2008, 06:39:23 PM »
Hi!

I dont know if i am doing this right to ask here, but i am wondering if any of you have water features integrated to your rock garden...
Because I am starting to plan my own little pond, but there are some aquatic species that i would like have, but dont know where to find them like the brandy bottle (Nuphar), the water soldier (Stratiotes), water chestnut (Trapa), the water club (Orontium), the water hawthorn (Aponogeton), and finally the water finge (Nymphoides).
Any ideas?
Thanks

Michael
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Aquatics
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »
Hello Michael,

Not aquatics but I wonder if you would be interested in some cuttings of Tecomanthe speciosa? If so, I think I can get some for you.

Lesley
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Michael

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:28:01 PM »
Hi Lesley!
Yes i would like to grow it!
I will PM you.
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »
Most garden centres will have the above plants in their aquatic departments.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:21:54 PM »
..... except that Mike doesn't have the same access to garden centres that we have where he lives!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 09:48:21 PM »
Yes David, unfortunately it's true, here even in high quality stores, you wont find anything beyond the water hyacinth, water lettuce or the famous Elodea. I have searched several times and nothing...
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:19:14 PM »
..... except that Mike doesn't have the same access to garden centres that we have where he lives!
....and that is where excactly? He doesn't say. :(

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 12:21:48 PM »
ADarby he has previously said it it is on Maderira and I agree with him about the very bad asortments there is in Portuguese garden centers so I presume being on an island would not improve that situation.
I have not seen much ponds in portugal it is more fountains made of stones with a small basket of iris and maybe water-lilies. The only exception is a pond in the Botanical garden in Ajuda, Lisbon.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Michael

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 01:35:20 PM »
Sorry adarby, i will write my location  in my signature!

Joakim, if you knew what i have been through to find a simple waterlily... I found them at a very old farm, and the lady was kind enough to give me a small rhizome, she said that she brough it from England several years ago. Now, if you cant find waterlily plants at stores here, imagine the others i posted, that (aparently) are a lot more difficult to find...
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »
Mike I have only seen waterlilies in the botanical gardens here in Lisbon. I have not seen them in shops. I was just illustrating that there is not much of pond culture in Portugal. I hope we will see pictures of Your water garden.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster

GordonT

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »
I would like to revive this topic, as I suspect I am not the sole person here with a pond, or ponds. Last year was the first flowering for me of the Siberian Lotus, Nelumbo nucifera komarovii. It was grown from seed, and suffered for a year, or two constrained in a large pot, which was sunk in one of our ponds. It produced a single bloom in 2017, and now has three buds in various stages of development. One thing I wonder however, is if there is a white form of komarovii in cultivation anywhere? I'd love to track down some seed if it exists.

None of the buds this year are open yet, hopefully one will be out when a local garden club arrives on August 1st for a tour. In the meantime, this photo was taken last year.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal