We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Diascia species  (Read 1942 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Diascia species
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:38:18 PM »
Some of you will know I am the NC holder for diascia.  I've been propagating the species material I've had for 15 years (much of it brought in by Hilliard and Burtt from their studies of the species in the 1980s, and by the generosity of RBGE at Logan) on an annual basis, so, no wonder, the species are now in decline as a result.  Some are already lost in the wild, due to govt policies, more grazing in areas where they grow etc.  So I now need to try to grow the species from seed if I can get it.  I've begun cross pollinating where I have more than one taxon for a species, and this has been occasionally successful. I've also had some seed from Silverhills too, but they don't always travel to the places where they grow, and its probably not commercially feasible to collect them anyway.  So this is a plea, if anyone is able to legitimately obtain seed from any of the species of diascia except D. barberae which is commercially available here, please let me know.  Many thanks
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Diascia species
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 01:45:13 PM »
Chris we have one plant in the rock garden that came from Silverhill seed we sent for. It is D integerrima and Brian says you can have the plant if you want it as it is rather too sprawly for our situation.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Diascia species
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks Shelagh, I'll pm you.   :)
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal