We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AUGUST IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE 2020  (Read 8169 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: AUGUST IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE 2020
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2020, 01:10:18 AM »
Blerdy weather >:( I only want two dry days so I can get my lawn cut, it's nearly up to my knees now. Colchicums are battered!

Hi David,

We could sure use some of your rain!  8). Here in Northern California, the wildfires and smoke have been terrible.

Blerdy weather - I will have to look that one up.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Mariette

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2020, 07:14:14 PM »
Mariette, that last plant is beautiful!
Thank You Leena - as I´ve got enough bulbs of it now I´m going to try it outdoors, though I wouldn´t do so in Your garden.
And You´re right: the borders are increasingly difficult to keep alive during July and August these last years in our area. This seedling of Pteroxygonum giraldii took a lot of watering to enjoy its first flowers.

Despite the drought we faced since 7 weeks, some colchicums start to flower, this one always being one of the first: C. pannonicum syn. ´Nancy Lindsay´.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2020, 01:06:02 AM »
Despite the drought we faced since 7 weeks, some colchicums start to flower, this one always being one of the first: C. pannonicum syn. ´Nancy Lindsay´.

This beautiful picture clearly says - fall is starting! Mariette.

No Colchicums here yet but Tricyrtis also signal the upcoming change.
Tricyrtis 'Tojen'
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Mariette

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2020, 09:02:22 AM »
Thank You, Gabriela! Unfortunetely, I´m not able to grow such beautiful tricyrtis like You, the slugs always devoured them.

The sedums are taking over, yet a late phlox adds a splash of summer. Sedum spectabile ´Carl´with a seedling.

A hylotelephium - seedling with Leucanthemum x superbum ´Bröllopsgåvan´.

Phlox and Bistorta suggesting it´s still summer.  :)

Gabriela

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2020, 10:10:08 PM »
Thank You, Gabriela! Unfortunetely, I´m not able to grow such beautiful tricyrtis like You, the slugs always devoured them.

The sedums are taking over, yet a late phlox adds a splash of summer. Sedum spectabile ´Carl´with a seedling.

Beautiful Mariette. This part of Canada usually has dry/hot summers, there are slugs but not too many and they are usually busy eating smaller plants and tender seedlings :( like Soldanellas, Gypsophila, Silene, Minuartia and so on....
Phlox is also in flower here.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Mariette

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2020, 11:48:34 AM »
Thank You, Gabriela!
 Summers here are becoming hotter, drier and very windy, the average rainfall during the last 10 years is only 80 % of what it used to be. Slugs are fewer therefore, too, but still I can´t grow some favourites like delphiniums and tricyrtis. But I´ll keep experimenting!

Gabriela

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2020, 06:40:24 PM »
Thank You, Gabriela!
 Summers here are becoming hotter, drier and very windy, the average rainfall during the last 10 years is only 80 % of what it used to be. Slugs are fewer therefore, too, but still I can´t grow some favourites like delphiniums and tricyrtis. But I´ll keep experimenting!

That's all we can do Mariette - keep on growing!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal