We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AUGUST IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE 2020  (Read 8176 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
AUGUST IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE 2020
« on: August 01, 2020, 02:54:52 PM »
The night fragrance in the garden is incredible on these Lilium sargentianum, a Jens Nielsen collection from the 1990s.  Days have been warm and nights 18-20c for a week now.  In the other end of the garden Magnolia virginiana 'Moonglow', night flowering I feel I'm in Savannah. Smallish flowers pack a powerful lemon scent.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: AUGUST IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 03:00:01 PM »
Gorgeous lillies, John.  Scent  in the  garden  is  just  the  best  thing, isn't  it?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 06:24:45 PM »
Gorgeous lillies, John.  Scent  in the  garden  is  just  the  best  thing, isn't  it?

Certainly transports me!

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ruweiss

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »
36° C today, not too good for many plants, but many other plants don't mind:
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 11:26:00 PM »
The night fragrance in the garden is incredible on these Lilium sargentianum, a Jens Nielsen collection from the 1990s.  Days have been warm and nights 18-20c for a week now.  In the other end of the garden Magnolia virginiana 'Moonglow', night flowering I feel I'm in Savannah. Smallish flowers pack a powerful lemon scent.
johnw

L. sargentianum is quite impressive John, cannot wait to see my little ones flowering!

36° C today, not too good for many plants, but many other plants don't mind:

Veratrum nigrum doesn't seem too bothered by the heat Rudi, always a beautiful plant.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

kris

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 04:41:54 PM »

It is Allium season now. Allium sikkimese  flowering in the rock garden.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 06:45:56 PM »
Autumn isn't far away

Scilla scilloides and Scilla autumnalis (Prospero autumnale). The second one started somewhat earlier.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

ruweiss

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 09:15:39 PM »
L. sargentianum is quite impressive John, cannot wait to see my little ones flowering!

Veratrum nigrum doesn't seem too bothered by the heat Rudi, always a beautiful plant.

Our meadow garden is rather hot and dry and Verbascum nigrum took a very long time to get
to to the present condition.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Andre Schuiteman

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 06:52:08 PM »
1. Cyananthus microphyllus. A late-flowering plant that tells us that autumn isn't far away.

2. Iris kemaonensis. I was surprised to discover this flower, because this species normally flowers in spring, when the leaves are still hardly developed. This mid-summer flower was a one-day wonder.

3. Roscoea purpurea f. rubra. Shortly after it was introduced from Nepal by Kew botanist Bill Baker it was given the catchy name Red Ghurka, but most plants now in cultivation are later seedlings and should be called by their scientific name. The leaves will quickly roll inwards in hot sunshine, so this is best avoided.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 01:17:36 PM by Andre Schuiteman »

Stefan B.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 07:43:12 PM »

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 08:08:00 AM »
Ericameria resinosa...from the Wenatchees Mts.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 04:13:13 PM »
Very interesting plants and beautiful pictures everyone. :)

It is Allium season now. Allium sikkimese  flowering in the rock garden.

It is interesting that you can grow it. I once had it but it died after a bad winter, it was after a warm December followed by cold January without much snow. Maybe it isn't so tender as I thought?

Some plants from the garden now. Phloxes are flowering well, and they bring much colour to the garden.
I have only couple of Clematis but also they are doing well.
I love the blue of Gentianas and wish I had more of them. I haven't been very successful at getting them to germinate, but once the few have germinated, then they are ok. G.triflora is very nice and seems to grow well. :)
I also love Primulas, some of them grow well like these P.florindae's, with some I have trouble, but every year I learn more and find a place in the garden where they will survive.
Leena from south of Finland

kris

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 03:32:30 PM »
Very interesting plants and beautiful pictures everyone. :)

It is interesting that you can grow it. I once had it but it died after a bad winter, it was after a warm December followed by cold January without much snow. Maybe it isn't so tender as I thought?

Allium sikkimese is hardy  at 6" Ht.  I have another  Allium sikkimese  taller than this one around 8". Both are really nice blue alliums.

Aquilegia chaplinei is flowering now. Unlike other Aquilegia this one flowers in summer and need constant moisture to flower. It is at the edge of running water.

The second picture is the Clematis Ville de Lyon. Border line hardy unless close to the foundation of the house.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 05:46:05 AM »
The following are a few photographs taken of plants in our Sacramento, California garden during the period - late July into early August. I have become such a simple-minded gardener, satisfied with simple pleasures and simple plants.

Helenium bigelovii is native to the Sierra Nevada Mountains. It blooms most of the summer. Next year I will start working this species into our perennial borders.

Rudbeckia fulgida with an orange flowering color line of Cosmos sulphereus.

Rudbeckia nitida ‘Autumn Sun’ is a favorite in the back of our perennial borders.

I never tire of the tree ripen peaches from our garden. The white-fleshed ‘Paradise’ Peaches are ripe now. I eat 5 to 10 every day. We just finished the last of the orange-fleshed ‘Fay Elberta’ Peaches. ‘Momo-san’ is an orange-fleshed cling-stone Peach with divine favor. They too have started to ripen.

‘Flavor Queen’ Pluots are delicious.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Mariette

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
You make me wanting to grow peaches, too, Robert, though we "suffer" from a vast amount of ripening apples right now!

@ Leena: Thank You for Your kind comment, Leena - indeed it´s increasingly difficult here to grow plants which have to stand the drought and heat of recent years as well as boggy conditions for many months. Cyclamen hederifolium coped well with the desert-like weather during the last weeks, yet the flowers are slightly damaged by temperatures up to 40 °C in the shade.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:09:31 PM by Mariette »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal