We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Some plants I encounter in Norway.  (Read 26358 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Some plants I encounter in Norway.
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2021, 07:19:53 PM »
Cute cabins-- good way to make some income from a place where probably no one would want to live full time...lol

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2021, 05:51:56 PM »
We are at the mountain cabin these days. Had to check out after the bitterly cold  weather we had for weeks. When the temperature was about to rise almost 20C we set out while it still was cold. (Easier to drive, the snow is like sand and not slippery when it is cold enough.) When the temperature started to increase so did the precipitation. Got a fair amount of snow in a few days. Today we got a glimpse of the sun so we went for skiing.

You may recognize 3 kind of trees; Scots pine, Norway spruce and downy birch!

680586-0

680588-1

680590-2

680592-3

680594-4

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 05:56:40 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2021, 06:01:48 PM »
Boat shed with stove!

680596-0

680598-1

680600-2

680602-3

Iceicles. Soon spring!

680604-4
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 06:06:46 PM by Hoy »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2021, 11:02:53 PM »
Great scenery Trond.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:04:59 PM by ian mcdonald »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2021, 01:17:27 PM »
Hello Trond

I agree with Ian’s statement, the winter scenes are very beautiful.

How high are the mountain peaks in this area? The valley where the cabins are located? I do not remember asking in the past. I am very curious.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2021, 01:37:09 PM »
Winterlicious Trond!
(the term was used for culinary events during winter in Toronto, before Covid)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Hoy

« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2021, 05:18:13 PM »

Hoy

« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2021, 05:35:57 PM »
Hello Trond

I agree with Ian’s statement, the winter scenes are very beautiful.

How high are the mountain peaks in this area? The valley where the cabins are located? I do not remember asking in the past. I am very curious.

Thanks Robert.

The mountain peaks isn't actually "peaks", the landscape is more like gently rolling hills. The highest is 1212m/3976ft. The forests are steadily creeping higher and higher, so the highest hills are barely above treeline now. We have to drive 1hr to find the highest peak in the area, 1933m/6343ft.

The valley floor where the cabins are located is about 872m/2861ft. The red cabins were previously used as summer "dairy" houses. Cattle grazed here all summer. Now only a few sheep grazes here.

Robert

« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2021, 09:08:33 PM »
Trond,

Thank you for the information. Sometimes I see distant peaks in your photographs. I am guessing these are the high peaks you are referring to.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2021, 07:07:59 AM »
Trond,

Thank you for the information. Sometimes I see distant peaks in your photographs. I am guessing these are the high peaks you are referring to.

Yes, you are right. In north west we have the Hallingskarvet mountain area. It is the highest area around here I mentioned previously.

(Photograph March 2018)

680772-0

In north east we have another mountain area with several peaks between 1500 and 1800m. We have to cross a big valley and drive an hour or so to reach this area.

(May 2018)

680774-1

Hoy

« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2021, 07:10:13 AM »
Winterlicious Trond!
(the term was used for culinary events during winter in Toronto, before Covid)

Gabriela,

You can use that word in several ways I suppose!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2021, 07:17:26 PM »
Nice views! Have you been working this winter? are your schools open? Funny to think your mountain cabin is at a lower elevation than me! Of course your land has to rise direct from the sea, so that is very different than my inland altitude (around 1000 m here, give or take). Very snowy scenes-- here we usually do not get a lot of snow during our warmest weather, since that comes from the Pacific and has lost most of its moisture coming over the mountains. During our coldest weather recently (-20 to -27 daytime, -30 to -40 nights) our highways actually were the most slippery of the winter-- there was some very fine snow, and the cold made it pack down very tight and slick on the road.

Hoy

« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2021, 06:55:17 AM »
Cohan,

Thanks, - no, I haven't been working. At least not the with the job I had. I am retired! My old school has mostly been open this year I think. But other schools have been closed for shorter or longer time.

Yes, our mountain cabin is at a lower elevation but higher latitude than your place! It looked much more montane here while my father-in-law was a "cowboy" here before ww2. The forest has crept in steadily and now only the highest summits are free of trees - almost. Small pines has shown upon the highest ridge in the district (1212m) so in 100 more years all this will be wooded.

During this week the temperature has arisen 25C so now it is around 0C in the nights. But it will not be real spring here in another 2 months!

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2021, 08:12:05 PM »
Cohan,

Thanks, - no, I haven't been working. At least not the with the job I had. I am retired! My old school has mostly been open this year I think. But other schools have been closed for shorter or longer time.

Yes, our mountain cabin is at a lower elevation but higher latitude than your place! It looked much more montane here while my father-in-law was a "cowboy" here before ww2. The forest has crept in steadily and now only the highest summits are free of trees - almost. Small pines has shown upon the highest ridge in the district (1212m) so in 100 more years all this will be wooded.

During this week the temperature has arisen 25C so now it is around 0C in the nights. But it will not be real spring here in another 2 months!

Good time to be retired, congrats! They say the woodies are climbing in our mountains as well, though I don't know any spots well enough/long enough to see it.

Robert

« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2021, 07:21:03 PM »
Trond,

Thank you for the information concerning the mountain elevations.

It appears that early spring is finally arriving in the low lands near the ocean? Or at least much of the snow is finally gone?
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal