We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Small alpine seeds please in exchange for Clematis Penstemon, Frit and others  (Read 1105 times)

Michelle Swann

Hi everyone,

I am always a little hesitant when it comes for asking for things so this is a little unusual.

I was wondering if anyone has some seeds for some small alpine plants or bulbs that I could buy please.  I am plant greedy so I am after anything that does not spread and take up too much room.  I like to spend lots of time admiring flowers, so the more flowers the merrier.

I am trying to populate a new alpine rock garden and want small interesting plants in it.  I had a go at growing some in the seed exchange last year, with a bit of a rollercoaster of success.  I seem to be good at growing bulbs more than none bulbous plants.

I have clematis,, frit, penstemon and a couple of other types I can exchange in return.  I can give more details if your interested.  I just got these seeds from AGS surplus seeds, so not sure of their storage conditions they have been kept in.  I also have a mix of Erythronium revolutum and white beauty mixed seeds from my garden.

Thank you xx.

Michelle

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:57:30 AM by Michelle Swann »

Tristan_He

Hi Michelle, I have sent you a pm.

If you are interested in growing alpines from seed I can also recommend Michal Rejsek's website https://wildflowerseeds.eu/ (mainly European and Turkish species) who will be selling at the moment. There are various other good websites selling seed in the autumn such as ChineseAlpines, Vojtek Holubec and alpineseeds.com.

AlPlains sells a lot of good N American stuff and his seed is excellent but many of the species he sells are difficult to grow in our climate sadly.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
There is also this opportunity for SRGC UK members :

2019-2020 REMAINING SEED - OFFER TO UK MEMBERS

After the seed distribution is completed each year, we have some seed left over which normally goes on tour around the SRGC Spring Shows for members to buy.  This represents the last 5-10% of the seed we packet, and Ian and Carole Bainbridge have two trays with around 3000 packets of seed sitting unused this year.  If any UK member would like some seed, you can email seed@srgc.org.uk, or write to Ian & Carole, address below, with a list of genera you would like, or list large blocks of numbers from the 2019-20 seed list, and your postal address. Seedlist 73 for 2019-2020 can be found  here: https://www.srgcseed.net/seedlistarchive.asp
Ian & Carole have agreed they will post out packs of up to 50 packets of seed.  In return, members will be asked to make a donation on the SRGC website, details below.....

Please pay a donation of at least 20p per packet plus postage costs, using a credit or debit card by clicking on the “Donate” button on the top right hand corner of the srgc.net home page.  After entering your payment amount, please then use the “Note” space to type “Seed” so our treasurer can allocate your donation correctly.

We are sorry that this offer is only being made to UK members, but we are not in a position to deal with import permits, customs lists or overseas postage in the current circumstances.  In normal years, this seed is only available to UK members at shows, of course.

Email requests to seed@srgc.org.uk are preferred, but you may post requests to:
Ian & Carole Bainbridge, SRGC Seed Offer, Luckie Harg’s, Anwoth, Gatehouse of Fleet, Dumfries and Galloway, DG7 2EF.

Use  the  list  #73  for  2019-2020 - you can find  it  on this  page  :
https://www.srgcseed.net/seedlistarchive.asp

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal