We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula Obconica Werringtonensis  (Read 2301 times)

Pennine Wanderer

Primula Obconica Werringtonensis
« on: May 14, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
I grew this Primula Obconica Werringtonensis from seed obtained from the 2018/2019 SRGC seed exchange.  It is growing happily in my garden but there is very little information about the plant or is cultivation requirements on the internet.  Can anyone on the forum or the seed donor please provide more information.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula Obconica Werringtonensis
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
I only know  Primula obconica as  a  house or  glasshouse plant, so I'm somewhat surprised to learn this grows  outside  for  you. I also know it  as  one  those  primulas  that can cause  quite  severe  allergy problems  when handled.
 Seems that you have  got  it's  needs  being  met  pretty  well already, by the  look of  it. Kevock Plants  have  listed  this  variety - https://www.kevockgarden.co.uk/plantlist/plant.asp?SKU=BOO   so I  wonder  if  David  and Stella Rankin may have  donated the  seed to the exchange.  May  be  worth contacting  David to ask about  it.  Click on the  link. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 11:19:05 AM »
Thanks Maggi. I see in John Richard’s book ‘Primula’ he found var. werringtonensis growing at 2600 metres in an area of China so I presume this variety must be hardy unlike some of the other varieties.  Hadn’t picked up on the allergy problems, so thanks.

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 04:12:01 PM »
This is my latest photo of Primula Obconica Werringtonensis.  Notice the vibrant red flower cluster. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:02:52 PM by Maggi Young »

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 03:15:14 PM »
I grew this Primula Obconica Werringtonensis from seed obtained from the 2018/2019 SRGC seed exchange.  It is growing happily in my garden but there is very little information about the plant or is cultivation requirements on the internet.  Can anyone on the forum or the seed donor please provide more information.
I just found this post and am at the initial previous  stage. I also have a small packet of seeds of the same exchange but been wondering if it needs cold moist stratification. Now in the beginning of winter , I do my primula seed sowings for those that require some level of cold. ( i.e P.japonica). Since you've been successful, (your picture proves it!) may ask about the details of your germination procedure? Like you I didn't find any information about it in the internet  either.Thank you in advance.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 06:17:30 PM »
Hi Arturo.
I sow the seed in a 7cm plastic pot and plunge it in river sand in my seed frame. The seed in the pot is covered with gravel. I only cover the seed frame if there is to be constant heavy rain otherwise the frame is left uncovered all winter.  Once the seed has germinated I remove the pot into my alpine house for protection from slugs etc.

hamparstum

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 10:20:47 PM »
Hi Arturo.
I sow the seed in a 7cm plastic pot and plunge it in river sand in my seed frame. The seed in the pot is covered with gravel. I only cover the seed frame if there is to be constant heavy rain otherwise the frame is left uncovered all winter.  Once the seed has germinated I remove the pot into my alpine house for protection from slugs etc.
Oh, thank you so much. How cold does it get there in your place?. Does it snow at times? Do you cover it then? I do have an un-heated greenhouse where I grow many of my seedlings, specially Primulas who seem direct target to slugs, so these denizens don't reach them up in the bench. However, inside the greenhouse it ever barely freezes, so in comparison I was trying to figure which option was more suitable whether placing it indoors from the start vs. placing in my outdoor plunge too. We are having a week long of daily snow, not standing for the moment.
Arturo Tarak

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 06:25:54 PM »
Our winters are getting less cold every year with very little snow cover at all. We do not get a lot of severe frost either but it can differ from year to year, perhaps 2 to 3 degrees generally. If snow was forecast I would't bother putting the frame covers on as the snow does not lie long. I do not have any heating in my alpine house and leave the windows and doors open through out the year only closing them to prevent driving rain getting in.

hamparstum

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 10:32:01 PM »
Thank you very much. So as a summary this Primula seems to need a light cold moist winter stratification. A device following your description can be easily set up here as well. I'll place my pot inside my un-heated greenhouse. If all goes well I should find seedlings by the beginning of our spring sometime in late September/early October.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 10:01:30 AM »
I am no expert at germination. The way I described  is what I did and seeds germinated.  I wish you luck with yours as it is a bonny plant with a vibrant flower colour. I look forward to eventually seeing your plant on the forum.

hamparstum

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 10:35:03 AM »
Yes definitely I'll do my share. Actually it would be of great value if we both are able to collect seeds and continue the cycle. Also if we are able to post growing aspects such as watering and feeding procedures used plus some idea of longevity. Finally if more people around the world join in here, then we could collect enough data so that the information void is at least significantly reduced.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal