We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula and relatives 2020  (Read 4059 times)

Roma

Re: Campanula and relatives 2020
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »
Posted the wrong clematidea pictures.  That was a nearly white one.  This is the normal form with stronger markings.

Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 10:01:46 PM »
Roma, wonderful pictures!. Is the pink flower on the right side of C.thyrsoides a Gladiolus species?. Your C.thyrsoides would remind me to a whitish foxglove from a distance. Your picture has changed my mind about it. Now I want to give it a try in combination with Digitalis and some other spiring flowers. My next question mark is  Codonopsis a trailing plant here. Do you grow it as part of a border and let it  mingle freely?. I'm very partial to all Campanulaceae , although I'm very new to their collection yet. Thank you for posting these.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 11:45:17 PM »
Campanula latifolia 'Hidcote Amethyst'
670119-0

Campanula moessiaca
670121-1

A darker campanula, could be a cross of C. moessiaca with C. glomerata, or just a darker C. moessiaca
670123-2
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Tristan_He

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 11:49:13 PM »
I like your C. thyrsoides Roma, but it's a lot taller than I thought based on photos from the wild. Is it always like that? I haven't grown this one to flowering yet but have some strong looking seedlings coming on from the last seed exchange.

Roma

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 09:54:02 PM »
Roma, wonderful pictures!. Is the pink flower on the right side of C.thyrsoides a Gladiolus species?. Your C.thyrsoides would remind me to a whitish foxglove from a distance. Your picture has changed my mind about it. Now I want to give it a try in combination with Digitalis and some other spiring flowers. My next question mark is  Codonopsis a trailing plant here. Do you grow it as part of a border and let it  mingle freely?. I'm very partial to all Campanulaceae , although I'm very new to their collection yet. Thank you for posting these.
Arturo
Thank you, Arturo.  The plant next to the Campanula thyrsoides is Gladiolus communis which has spread over the garden but does not become a nuisance.  The Codonopsis do tend to sprawl.  The clematidea is growing in a border which is very weedy and it leans on the grass. I meant to dead head it when I planted it but don't always remember in time so it is spreading.  It has a tap root so is not easy to get rid of if you let it get big.   The C.ovata is a more delicate plant.  I only have the one planted out but have a few in small pots where it has self sown in the frame.

Roma

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »
Tristan, I got the Campanula thyrsoides carniolica, wild collected seed from the SRGC 2010-2011 seed exchange.  It was sown in January 2011.  The potted seedlings never got planted out and flowered in the open frame in 2013. They did not grow very tall.  I did not think any seed had been set till I saw seedlings appear in neighbouring pots the following year.  I think some flower as biennials and some take another year.  I think the height varies with nutrition and water supply.  The one I photographed is 30 cm. high.  Two on the raised bed last year with very good drainage and not much rain were much smaller.  There are two in the frame where seedlings and bought plants linger till I get round to planting them.  They are quite big because they get watered when it doesn't rain.  I notice lots of small seedlings there so must remove them before the overwhelm the rightful occupants of the pots.

Knud

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 10:31:40 PM »
A Campanula I got many years ago as Molly Pinsent. It grew well in the rock garden and it took remarkably long before the slugs discovered it. Two years ago I salvaged what was left and planted it in a trough (shallow, round glazed pot) where it has made good comeback.
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »
A message  from dear  Erich Pasche about  this  Campanula ....

"Dear Plantfriends,
In February 2010 I received seeds - supposed to be Campanula 'sosnowskyi' from the NARGS, which obviously represents an other species. It developed leaves every year but flowered for the first time this year. It is about 40 cm high and flowered profusely. It was collected in Georgia, but according to "The Caucasus and its Flowers" it cannot be this species. So far  I was unable to find out which species it really is. Perhaps somebody has an idea about the plant shown on the pictures, and I would be very grateful for any advice you can give.

Best wishes and have a nice summer,
Erich"

670359-0

670361-1

photos are  from the  26th and  30th June
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2020, 08:02:12 PM »
A message  from dear  Erich Pasche about  this  Campanula ....

"Dear Plantfriends,
In February 2010 I received seeds - supposed to be Campanula 'sosnowskyi' from the NARGS, which obviously represents an other species. It developed leaves every year but flowered for the first time this year. It is about 40 cm high and flowered profusely. It was collected in Georgia, but according to "The Caucasus and its Flowers" it cannot be this species. So far  I was unable to find out which species it really is. Perhaps somebody has an idea about the plant shown on the pictures, and I would be very grateful for any advice you can give.

Best wishes and have a nice summer,
Erich"
I wonder  if  this  may be  Campanula  sarmatica?  But  should  the  foliage  be  more  grey  and  pubescent?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 08:10:59 PM by Maggi Young »

Knud

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2020, 10:19:04 PM »
This is what I grew as C. sarmatica for several years, and the flowers in Erich's pictures certainly remind me of it. The leaves on our plants were indeed a greyish green and 'felty', but the shape quite similar to Erich's plant.

Please give my best wishes to Erich, Maggi.
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2020, 12:07:38 AM »
 From my comparisons with pictures from the Russian site for C.sarmatica, photos look very much like the pictures you have posted:
i.e view
https://www.plantarium.ru/page/image/id/113141.html
https://www.plantarium.ru/page/image/id/428130.html

A very valuable contribution! Sergey Banketov offers it in his current seed list!
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2020, 10:41:25 AM »
Thank you Knud and Arturo for  your  input.  I also asked  Vojtech Holubec about  the  plant and  he  too thinks  it  is  a  form of C. sarmatica.
I'll be  letting  Erich know  the  conclusions we've  come  to  here - and  will of  course pass  on your  good  wishes to this  good  friend  of  SRGC. 

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2020, 12:48:20 PM »
Just in, this reply  to my  query  to Graham Nicholls- a man who has  forgotten more  about  Campanulas than most  of  us  knew  was  possible!
 Graham writes : "  I have been through several books including 'Ornamental Plants from Russia and adjacent states' and I keep coming back to your initial ID C. sarmatica. If the flowers were white I would have said C. dolomitica or C. alliariifolia. The leaves seem to be quite large just like C. dolomitica though. Googleing C. sosnowskyi and checking it in 'The Caucasus and its  flowers' the plant in the photo cannot be it. So.... C. sarmatica does seem to be the answer but nothing like seeing it in real life to ID it properly. Hope that's some help. "

Thanks, Graham! 

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2020, 11:17:21 AM »
Does anyone have any idea which Campanula this is?  The flowers are very small (about 1 cm) and have a striking pink stripe.

Thanks
Thomas
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 11:36:48 AM by Maggi Young »

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 11:37:39 AM »
This looks like a form of Campanula cashmeriana.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal