We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Non flowering Paeonia tenuifolia  (Read 1776 times)

Tristan_He

Non flowering Paeonia tenuifolia
« on: May 10, 2020, 12:39:43 PM »
Hi there, I'm looking for advice on this. The plant is in a sloping area of the rockery with a good depth of soil. It was planted there when youngish (I bought it as an immature plant at the AGS Kendal show in 2016 I think) and is growing fine.... but no flowers! It is in good light with a northwesterly aspect.

I am now thinking that it's probably best to move it because this is quite a valuable spot which I don't want to waste on a non flowering specimen. But should I wait another year...? If I move it, what sort of location would give the best chance of flowers?

Thanks, Tristan

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Non flowering Paeonia tenuifolia
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 12:47:59 PM »
The best  Paeonia tenuifolia I  have  ever  seen were  in a  Czech garden, in full sun, being  roasted  in the  heat  - they  were  FABULOUS! Those  with good  flowering  clumps  in the  UK seem to have  them in very  warm spots.   Rob and  Jackie  at  Potterton's have  some  good  ones - may  be  worth asking  them exactly where  they have  it.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

brianw

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 02:28:46 PM »
I have 2 plants of this Paeonia. 1 grown from seed from Nargs a number of years ago. It is in a 9" pot and no doubt very neglected as it is I think dated 2006. It has very fine leaves but rarely flowers. Another bought from a now closed nursery ~3-4 years ago, but planted out, is much larger and flowers profusely but has much less finely divided leaves. I expect this says more about my treatment than anything but different forms may be better than others for flowering.
How many forms/sub-species of the plant are recorded?
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 04:54:37 PM »
I bought 2 seed-raised young plants with me to Norfolk, planted one in what is basically builders' rubble by the front door - south facing, the second one is planted in decent soil but round the back where it doesn't get much sun. The one in full sun is a nice compact plant and flowered, the one at the back is twice as tall but no flowers... (leaves much the same)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

ArnoldT

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 04:57:52 PM »
My P. tenuifolia get full sun for 7-8 hours.  The heat does shorten the flowering period.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 06:34:22 PM »
Some of this information might be helpful

http://peonies.org/P_tenuifolia.html
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tristan_He

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 08:58:48 PM »
OK, thanks everyone, that's brilliant. I'll move it somewhere it gets cooked in summer (at least so far this is possible). Actually we have quite a thin soil so there are a few suitable places I think. Will report back!

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 08:04:29 AM »
My P. tenuifolia stands on a place with many gravel and a little bit of clay in full sun all the afternoon. It has never had stalks but flowering ones.
666841-0

It lookes a bit weird because we hat more than 20 l rain since yesterday 5 pm    :o

Hannelore

ruweiss

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 09:40:47 PM »
I remember about a lecture by a Russian Rockgardener (cannot remember the name anymore) at the
last International Czech Conference in Pruhonice. A very impressive picture showed a wide steppe, covered
with thousands of  Paeonia tenuifolia plants, for me an unforgettable sight. At some places in the Pruhonice Park
dry places were planted with seedlings of this plants and the gardeners hope, that they will develop a solid population
there.
Today I phoned with Vojtech Holubec and mentioned this thread. He told me, that he also found many of these
plants at the Iguepi Steppe near Gori in Georgia, Russia. Beside the usually colored flowers were some lighter
and darker, even in white.
Hope, this will give some suggestions for the cultivation of this fine plant.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 03:37:04 PM »
My two tenuifolia (different clones) are also on a south-facing slope, dry. Full sun.
Soil is loamy gravel that dries very quickly.
But my plants seem to have huge roots.
They bloom very well.

Bernd
Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal