We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2020  (Read 10705 times)

Tim Harberd

Re: Paeonia 2020
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2020, 04:43:52 PM »
First two seedlings from an open pollinated ‘Nosegay’. Sown 2016. The darker flower looks a bit like ‘Pageant’ which sometimes overlaps in flowering, so maybe that’s where the pollen came from.

Tim DH

Tim Harberd

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »
Seedling No.3 is a surprise, Cerise Pink. …. Nothing like Mum or any of the nearby potential Dad’s!!

Tim DH

ArnoldT

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2020, 01:39:44 PM »
A single bloom this year.

Paeonia emodi
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2020, 01:21:25 PM »
A Paeonia lactiflora I have had in the garden for many years but have never been able to take a reasonable picture.

667873-0

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ArnoldT

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2020, 03:45:38 PM »
David:

I find that taking pictures on a overcast day with these brightly colored flowers seems to give a better result.

The reds are just too vivid for the cameras to pick up in bright light.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2020, 06:22:17 PM »
Thanks Arnold. We haven't had an overcast day for some weeks now, remarkable!   ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2020, 01:44:11 AM »

The legendary Paeonia mlokosewitchii - a good yellow form of "Molly The Witch" from Mosswood Nursery - was severely traumitized a few years ago when Ken had to lift it a few inches to be at ground level in its newly raised & top-dressed bed. It was touch and go for 3 years but now seems happy as a clam., its best show yet. john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ArnoldT

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2020, 02:46:14 AM »
John:

Perfect example of bright blooms in the sun and shade.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

kris

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2020, 03:50:46 AM »
The legendary Paeonia mlokosewitchii - a good yellow form of "Molly The Witch" from Mosswood Nursery - was severely traumitized a few years ago when Ken had to lift it a few inches to be at ground level in its newly raised & top-dressed bed. It was touch and go for 3 years but now seems happy as a clam., its best show yet. john
Nice plant John. The one peony I tried many times and failed!!!
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2020, 02:08:53 PM »

Very nice John. I find hard to capture the colour, mine looks a bit more lighter in pictures.

Due to the heat wave of last week many peonies were short flowering here. I didn't even have the chance to take a decent picture with P. japonica.  P. mlokosewitschii and P. rockii are still blooming. I am very fond of their spring foliage and fruits but having flowers is a big bonus. Most of them were generous gifts from friends.

P. tenuifolia, was the first to flower earlier and lasted quite a bit

P. mlokosewitschii

P. mascula

P. anomala - first time flowering

P. rockii
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

ArnoldT

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2020, 10:51:42 PM »
Paeonia x Itoh Bartzella

Hybridizer, year introduced: Roger Anderson, 1986.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2020, 01:42:39 PM »
A couple of un-named Paeonia

668115-0

668117-1
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2020, 03:53:57 PM »
P. lactiflora 'Jan van Leeuwen' action shot ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2020, 07:14:54 PM »
Peony season has started also here. :)
First to open was P.mairei (now over), then P.japonica (and P.obovata) which is still flowering.
Third picture is of a plant grown from seed ex, P.caucasica. It is a small plant and it has now flowered twice, and is always the earliest of P.daurica -group.
Fourth picture is a plant bought as P.officinalis ssp officinalis, but I have been told it is not true. Anyway it is a good plant with large flowers.
In the last picture there are plants grown from seeds as P.veitchii, they might also be hybrids, but they are fertile and very pretty small peonies.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2020, 01:26:10 PM »
Paeonia x smouthii yesterday in the first picture, very similar is Paeonia x hybrida in the second. It is a naturally occuring cross between P.tenuifolia and P.anomala. The peony flowering with one flower behind it is P.mollis.
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal