We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2020  (Read 10670 times)

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
Paeonia 2020
« on: April 04, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »
The first two to open here are both pot-grown plants kept under cold glass over the Winter.

Paeonia clusii -first time flowering from seed sown in January 2016.

Paeonia mascula -I bought this from Aberconwy as “ mascula ssp russoi Reverchonii“ but others have suggested it is not this form. Either way it is a nice plant. The flowers open darker and then mature to a paler pink colour.

WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: Paeonia 2020
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 11:26:12 AM »
what's the size of the container? I grow mine in 6L pots 30cm high.

mascula ssp. russoi is simply Paeonia corsica, reverchonii was given for plants colledted in Sardinia, Mt Limbardo.
Sardinian plants have very dark leaves with copper highlights, which is not the case on your photo.
Does your plant has hairiness below the leaves?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:33:58 AM by Yann »
North of France

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 10:12:09 PM »
Hi Yann, thanks for your comments.
No my mascula has no hairs under the leaves.

The P. clusii is in a 10L pot.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 06:53:00 PM »
Fantastic plants Steve - the foliage on that clusii looks so healthy. You've done well to get it to flower from a 2016 sowing.

My plant from AGS seed as P. mascula ssp russoi sown in 2013 is going to have its first flowering soon (she says, touching wood hastily!). The undersides of its leaves are amazing - feel just like cotton wool. Currently vying with obovata alba to be my first peony in flower.

663801-1
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 08:09:00 PM »
mascula ssp. russoi is simply Paeonia corsica, reverchonii was given for plants colledted in Sardinia, Mt Limbardo.
Simple when you follow Hong & Wang 2006, but not so simple with the lastest studies as they say that there is no P. corsica in Sardinia.
The lastest paper on this group in the western mediterranean Islands is Taxonomic discrimination of the Paeonia mascula group in the Tyrrhenian Islands by seed image analysis by Marco Sarigu, Marco Porceddu, Eric Schmitt, Ignazio Camarda & Gianluigi Bacchetta. The same technics of seeds analysis has also been used for Fritillaria in Greece.
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 07:21:11 PM »
I just used flora gallica and flora d'italia to compare description.
Plants form Sardinia have long hairs under leaves not the case of corsican ones

An interesting publication: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/255966260_The_genus_Paeonia_L_in_Italy_Taxonomic_survey_and_revision

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:23:02 PM by Yann »
North of France

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 08:19:47 PM »
I just used flora gallica and flora d'italia to compare description.
Plants form Sardinia have long hairs under leaves not the case of corsican ones (Attachment Link)

An interesting publication: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/255966260_The_genus_Paeonia_L_in_Italy_Taxonomic_survey_and_revision
Sorry Yann, maybe I misunderstood you. It would be easier, at least for me, to speak and understand french but I think that very few other members would understand  ;D
From you first post, I understood that it was simply P. corsica (which don't grow in Sardinia)
I also just wanted to say that "you" can not simply apply a synonymy to a paeonia coming from a nursery with an old name and without knowing from which country it comes from, specially with a Paeonia of the mascula complex from mediterranean island. There has been so many names, so many descriptions, that it can't be simple  ;).
About hairs under leaves, from Flora gallica, both P. corsica and P. morisii have or don't have hairs under leave, this is not a caracter to differentiate these two species.
Below, a table and a key from Camarda (2019) "Paeonia sandrae (Paeoniaceae) species nova of Sardinia and relationship with peonies of Corsica and Sicily" (because it can also be Paeonia sandrae if Steve's plant originally came from Sardinia !)
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Gail

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 09:18:08 PM »
Paeonia obovata alba, my first of the season. It hasn't really increased since last year and I shall have to be more disciplined about removing some of the self-sown Nigella (love-in-a-mist) which are out-competing a lot of plants...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »
Paeonia obovata alba, my first of the season. It hasn't really increased since last year and I shall have to be more disciplined about removing some of the self-sown Nigella (love-in-a-mist) which are out-competing a lot of plants...

Loving  your  photos, Gail, thank you. I'm astonished at you  having  this  paeony  so early - even with a  mild  season ours  are  a  long  way off!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gail

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 11:02:42 PM »
It opened on 14/4 last year so a bit earlier this year - we have greater need of cheering up...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 11:25:15 PM »
Sorry Yann, maybe I misunderstood you. It would be easier, at least for me, to speak and understand french but I think that very few other members would understand  ;D
From you first post, I understood that it was simply P. corsica (which don't grow in Sardinia)
I also just wanted to say that "you" can not simply apply a synonymy to a paeonia coming from a nursery with an old name and without knowing from which country it comes from, specially with a Paeonia of the mascula complex from mediterranean island. There has been so many names, so many descriptions, that it can't be simple  ;).
About hairs under leaves, from Flora gallica, both P. corsica and P. morisii have or don't have hairs under leave, this is not a caracter to differentiate these two species.
Below, a table and a key from Camarda (2019) "Paeonia sandrae (Paeoniaceae) species nova of Sardinia and relationship with peonies of Corsica and Sicily" (because it can also be Paeonia sandrae if Steve's plant originally came from Sardinia !)
I can't agree more, mascula complex is full of synomyms. I've downloaded the Camarda publication and will take a look tomorrow (another species!).
Gonna ask Tim Lever if its stock was raised from Archibald seeds, which this case will be Corsica as orign. Investigations continue :)
North of France

WSGR

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 08:51:03 AM »
Nice pic, Gail!

Yann

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 12:24:05 AM »
Paeonia kavachensis sown 02/2015 giving its first flowers
North of France

WSGR

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 04:48:12 AM »
Gorgeous flower and fabulous photos!

Gail

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 07:58:48 AM »
The P. mascula ssp russoi opened yesterday;

as did P. tenuifolia;
664493-1
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal