We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scottish Willow  (Read 1906 times)

Tim Harberd

Scottish Willow
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:52:06 PM »
I'm trying to track down Salix x balfourii (caprea x lanata).... Balfour's Willow ... named after Scottish botanist John Hutton Balfour ... I've found a nursery in America which lists it!!

The only place I've found it in the UK is Thenford Gardens, Oxfordshire... (not a nursery)

Presumably it is still grown in its native land?

I'm hoping someone in Scotland might be able to spare me some cuttings in the autumn?

Tim DH

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
Re: Scottish Willow
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 09:32:13 AM »
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

ian mcdonald

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:33:23 AM »
Tim, maybe the gardener would allow some cuttings. The head gardeners sometimes help people who are interested in their plants. Perhaps a message to Thenford might be useful?

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 12:34:24 PM »
A friend has a very special (and endangered - he's looking for a home for it) collection of rare hybrid willows. I will ask him.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 11:46:39 AM »
My friend has replied:
Re Salix x balfourii.  This has never been found inthe wild, at least in Britain. Linton claimed that he had synthesized from the parents in his garden but even if correct I doubt it still exists.  
Sorry we are unable to help.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Tim Harberd

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 08:05:56 AM »
Hi Yvain,
       Thanks for the link... What a wonderful website!

Hi Ian,
       I was thinking I might try asking in the autumn, if nothing else works.

Hi Anne,
       Thanks for your efforts... Mis-named things being passed round under 'rare' names is an ever present problem in many genera....   Interestingly the American nursery's S x balfourii  ( https://www.willowsvermont.com/home.html ) came to them as something else anyway!!! This website includes a score of photos of their plant, which is helpful.

Tim DH

Tim Harberd

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 12:27:59 PM »
I guess if I'm going to get any cutting wood of Balfour's Willow ( Salix x balfourii ) now is the time!

I've tried The National Willow Collection @ Rothamsted, with no response.

I've also discovered that some people grow Basford Golden Willow (Basfordiana) as S x balfourii, whereas other people think it is S x fragilis... so that muddies the water somewhat!

Tim DH

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 09:59:16 AM »
Did you ever ask thenford for the willow?
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

MarcR

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »
Tim,

I'm willing to buy it from the US nursery that offers it, get a phyto, and send it to you if you will cover the actual costs.  I'm not interested in charging you for my efforts.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal