We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daubenya misadventure  (Read 883 times)

GordonT

Daubenya misadventure
« on: March 30, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »
After ordering seed of Daubenya aurea red form, from Silverhill seeds, I somehow managed to lose track of the packet when it was due for sowing in autumn. Fearing that the seed might lose viability, I went ahead and potted it in February. Now I have seedlings, and am left with a few questions... Is this likely to be a waste of good seed and seedlings? If not, what should my goal be with them this year? I assume I ought to keep them in leaf for as long as they will maintain foliage? The packet of Daubenya zeyheri seeds has yet to be sown. ???
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
Re: Daubenya misadventure
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 05:44:20 PM »
Gordon,
As you surmise, I would keep the young Daubenya aurea bulb seedlings going for as long as you can - put them somewhere cool which should help. Once they start to die down let them dry out and then start watering again in September. With luck, some may make it and reappear.

The D. zeyheri seed can simply be stored and sown in September. Store them at room temperature, not in a fridge, as some of the South African bulbs are not fully ripe when shed and require a warm period after being shed before they are fully ripe - putting them in a fridge halts this process. Once they are ripe they can be stored in a fridge thereafter if you do not intend to sow them.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

E Meaney

Re: Daubenya misadventure
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 03:27:26 PM »
I got some Daubenya seeds from the seed exchange in 2013 , sowed them ( 5 seeds ) , nothing . They were put in the corner of the greenhouse and forgotten about .
In September or October 2018 I noticed seedlings , 5 , 100% germination . I didn't water them I watered something else and it dripped into them .
I think they stay viable for a while.
They germinated when things started to cool down .
I showed some Zeyheri seeds 3 years ago , they lay all summer and sprouted in sep/oct too . They didn't reappear the next year though so I got some more , these haven't germinated yet but I'm not throwing them out .

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal