Cultivation > Cultivation Problems

Moving tree paeonies

<< < (2/3) > >>

brianw:
My root structures were not dissimilar to the youngish rose I have just moved, except fewer long deep roots, but then the paeony  was in much heavier dry soil. I forgot I moved 3 earlier plants from this seed grown batch last year. They are still quite healthy in large pots.

Ali Baba:

--- Quote from: brianw on March 09, 2020, 05:04:23 PM ---My root structures were not dissimilar to the youngish rose I have just moved, except fewer long deep roots, but then the paeony  was in much heavier dry soil. I forgot I moved 3 earlier plants from this seed grown batch last year. They are still quite healthy in large pots.

--- End quote ---

Hmm a good sized deep pot is called for I think...

Tim Harberd:
Some years ago there was a University Experimental Garden near me that got sold for re-development. I knew it had a  L O N G  established tree peony which was likely to be bulldozed along with everything else in the garden, so in the Autumn I began making enquiries about whether I might be permitted to re-home it…. I’d given up by Christmas.

On the 23rd of April, out of the blue, I got permission (and access) for the following afternoon only! The poor thing was rudely ripped out of a woodland area, in full bud. To be honest I didn’t hold out much hope for it. So it was planted on the allotment, the only ground I had ready to receive it in the emergency.

I pruned off about 90% of the above ground growth…. And it recovered!!!!!

(I also picked up two miserable slips of P.Mlokosewitschii at the same time, which also recovered.)

So my experience would be that it is possible to move Tree Peonies… even at the wrong time of year!

Tim DH

Maggi Young:
Nice to hear  a  bit  of  good  news!

MarcR:

--- Quote from: ShirleyKennedy on November 26, 2022, 12:53:15 PM ---Your peony can definitely be moved. Peonies, however, "resent" being relocated.

--- End quote ---

Peonies in general [including tree peonies] generally have little or no resentment of transplanting. You will often find Peony roots offered for sale in garden centers.
If, indeed,  tree peonies resent relocation, you may avoid this problem by potting the tree in the soil it was taken from. Some trees [ I don't know if this applies to Peonies] have a North orientation. you might mark North with a felt tip marker, and orient the pot with the mark facing North.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version