We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moving tree paeonies  (Read 5195 times)

Ali Baba

Moving tree paeonies
« on: March 08, 2020, 05:06:07 PM »
I am planning on moving house this year and have a very special tree Chinese tree peony in my garden. It is about 0.5m tall at present, still only a few years old. I'd like to transplant it to a pot and take it with me.
Any advice on the best way to achieve this without setting the plant back too much. Buds are just breaking now.

Thanks
Ali

brianw

Re: Moving tree paeonies
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 06:39:46 PM »
I moved ~10 last week from the open garden, mostly into pots for sale or exchange through my local group. I put a group of 3 in the garden. I am hoping they will be quite happy. Had to cut a few large roots through so potted them into some spare pots to see if they take as root cuttings. I had nothing to lose; but you may think differently. They varied in height from maybe 6" to 3', some multi-stemmed. Seed grown.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Ali Baba

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 07:15:34 PM »
Thanks that's encouraging. What is the root structure like? Mine was originally grafted on a herbaceous paeony root but must have its own roots now.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 08:48:18 PM »
I brought a plant of 'Lydia Foote' with me to Norfolk - lifted from the garden this time of year. It had a fairly substantial root system so I took a spade to it; one portion is doing well in the front garden here, two more have gone to neighbours.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Ali Baba

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 02:20:03 PM »
Thanks Gail, will be getting the spade out shortly  :)

brianw

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 05:04:23 PM »
My root structures were not dissimilar to the youngish rose I have just moved, except fewer long deep roots, but then the paeony  was in much heavier dry soil. I forgot I moved 3 earlier plants from this seed grown batch last year. They are still quite healthy in large pots.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Ali Baba

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
My root structures were not dissimilar to the youngish rose I have just moved, except fewer long deep roots, but then the paeony  was in much heavier dry soil. I forgot I moved 3 earlier plants from this seed grown batch last year. They are still quite healthy in large pots.

Hmm a good sized deep pot is called for I think...

Tim Harberd

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 02:48:24 PM »
Some years ago there was a University Experimental Garden near me that got sold for re-development. I knew it had a  L O N G  established tree peony which was likely to be bulldozed along with everything else in the garden, so in the Autumn I began making enquiries about whether I might be permitted to re-home it…. I’d given up by Christmas.

On the 23rd of April, out of the blue, I got permission (and access) for the following afternoon only! The poor thing was rudely ripped out of a woodland area, in full bud. To be honest I didn’t hold out much hope for it. So it was planted on the allotment, the only ground I had ready to receive it in the emergency.

I pruned off about 90% of the above ground growth…. And it recovered!!!!!

(I also picked up two miserable slips of P.Mlokosewitschii at the same time, which also recovered.)

So my experience would be that it is possible to move Tree Peonies… even at the wrong time of year!

Tim DH

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 07:28:08 PM »
Nice to hear  a  bit  of  good  news!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

MarcR

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 11:54:22 PM »
Your peony can definitely be moved. Peonies, however, "resent" being relocated.

Peonies in general [including tree peonies] generally have little or no resentment of transplanting. You will often find Peony roots offered for sale in garden centers.
If, indeed,  tree peonies resent relocation, you may avoid this problem by potting the tree in the soil it was taken from. Some trees [ I don't know if this applies to Peonies] have a North orientation. you might mark North with a felt tip marker, and orient the pot with the mark facing North.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 07:48:25 AM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Zeke

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 10:54:29 PM »
Transplanting it to a pot can definitely be done, but it's important to be careful to minimize any setbacks for the plant. One key tip is to dig a wide and deep hole around the peony, making sure to keep the root ball intact. Once you've carefully removed it, gently place it in a suitable pot with well-draining soil.
 With the buds breaking now, it's crucial to handle the peony with extra care to preserve its health. Wishing you the best of luck with the move and the successful relocation of your special tree peony!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 12:02:21 PM by Maggi Young »

Jeffnz

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 11:14:03 PM »
I have successfully re located a pot grown tree paeony to the garden. However pot grown means that the full root ball can be recovered with minimal set backs.
This is a google hit
How to move a tree peony

Tree peonies – they hate being moved and are known to sulk if they are. However, if you are desperate to move a tree peony they need to be moved in the autumn on a frost free day. Bear in mind that it will need to be well watered throughout the summer once moved during its first year after moving.

It is generally not recommended to move a tree peony, as they do not tolerate being transplanted well and can take a long time to recover from the stress of being moved. If you must move a tree peony, it is best to do so in the fall when the plant is not actively growing.

Using a sharp spade, carefully dig a wide, circular hole around the base of the plant, making sure to go deep enough to get the entire root ball.
Gently lift the plant out of the ground, being careful not to damage the roots.
Use burlap or a tarp to wrap the root ball, securing it with twine or straps.
Transport the plant to its new location, taking care not to jostle it too much.
Unwrap the root ball and carefully plant the tree peony in its new location, making sure to plant it at the same depth as it was previously growing.
Water the plant well, and keep it well-watered for the first few weeks after transplanting to help the soil settle around the roots and remove the air pockets.
It is important to note that even with the best care, tree peonies may not survive being transplanted. If you are unsure about moving a tree peony, it may be best to leave it in its current location and consider other options for adding plants to your garden.

Zeke

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 09:11:56 AM »
Moving house is exciting, and I get how important that Chinese tree peony is to you! Don't worry; transplanting it to a pot can be done smoothly. First, choose a spacious pot with good drainage. Before transplanting, water the peony well to help it handle the move better. Gently dig around the plant's root ball, ensuring you don't damage the roots. Once in the pot, use high-quality soil and water thoroughly.

Oh, and here's a handy tip: consider seeking professional help from Three Movers. They've got great reviews and could help you with the big move while you focus on the peony. Best of luck with your relocation and your cherished plant!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 09:05:51 AM by Zeke »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal