We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: viola 2020  (Read 10373 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: viola 2020
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2020, 05:54:08 PM »
Gerd,

The Viola purpurea group, as well as V. tomentosa, V. lobata ssp. lobata, and V. pinetorum ssp. pinetorum, certainly have their cultivation challenges. To date, I can keep most forms of Viola purpurea going for 1 to 3 years at the best. I have yet to grow on any second generation seedlings from my own stock. I have had no success with Viola tomentosa, V. lobata ssp. lobata, or V. pinetorum ssp. pinetorum. There are some very beautiful plants within these species and there is considerable variation within some of the species. With a well thought out plan and persistence I hope to eventually have success. I have to admit that I admire the work of Gerhard Domagk, and others, during the late 1920’s and 1930’s at Bayer. I strongly believe with similar dedication, organization, and persistence new forms of these western Viola species can be created that are much easier to cultivate and enjoy.

Some of our other dry-land Viola species have been much easier to cultivate. Viola sheltonii grows fairly easily if the proper cultural conditions are met. Viola bakeri and V. douglasii are even easier.

At some later date I will report on my progress with our local mesic Viola species, V. adunca ssp. adunca, V. glabella, and V. macloskyi.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2020, 08:52:38 AM »
Robert, I followed (all) your contribution(s) with interest und I am looking forward to the following ones.
Thank you for sharing my special field.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2020, 08:38:06 PM »
Lots of interesting Violas here.
Your Viola verecunda looks a lot (on a superficial look) like V. odorata 'Alba' Veronique. I'm not a Viola grower, only when it happens, but they are certainly not easy to ID and many characters must be considered.

Viola odorata 'Alba'

Named with specialized help Viola adunca var. bellidifolia

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2020, 08:40:42 PM »
Gerd,

The Viola purpurea group, as well as V. tomentosa, V. lobata ssp. lobata, and V. pinetorum ssp. pinetorum, certainly have their cultivation challenges. To date, I can keep most forms of Viola purpurea going for 1 to 3 years at the best. I have yet to grow on any second generation seedlings from my own stock. I have had no success with Viola tomentosa, V. lobata ssp. lobata, or V. pinetorum ssp. pinetorum. There are some very beautiful plants within these species and there is considerable variation within some of the species. With a well thought out plan and persistence I hope to eventually have success. I have to admit that I admire the work of Gerhard Domagk, and others, during the late 1920’s and 1930’s at Bayer. I strongly believe with similar dedication, organization, and persistence new forms of these western Viola species can be created that are much easier to cultivate and enjoy.

Some of our other dry-land Viola species have been much easier to cultivate. Viola sheltonii grows fairly easily if the proper cultural conditions are met. Viola bakeri and V. douglasii are even easier.

At some later date I will report on my progress with our local mesic Viola species, V. adunca ssp. adunca, V. glabella, and V. macloskyi.

It is good to see the Western Violets in their habitat and your cultivation efforts Robert!
Happy to hear that douglasii and bakeri are not fussy because I have young seedlings. V. macloskeyi grows very well here in part-shaded/moist locations.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gerdk

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2020, 11:58:05 AM »
Gabriela,
Your Viola adunca var. bellidifolia is a particular beauty - does it occur in your region?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gabriela

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2020, 03:37:51 PM »
V. adunca is a species of the Western parts of US and Canada Gerd, listed as endangered in various regions.
var. bellidifolia is a form of highest altitude, some recognize it and some not. It is particularly dwarf that's for sure.

I grew it from a seedex as something else (let's not even mention what); it was eaten by slugs in the past 2 years so I never got the chance to clearly see the flowers. It is not always easy to ID the Violas but there are always people willing to help.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Robert

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »
It is good to see the Western Violets in their habitat and your cultivation efforts Robert!
Happy to hear that douglasii and bakeri are not fussy because I have young seedlings. V. macloskeyi grows very well here in part-shaded/moist locations.

Gabriela

The plan is to keep posting photographs of our local California native Viola species on this thread this summer.

For the general information of the readers out there, Viola bakeri is a high elevation species. Freezing soil temperatures and abundant snow cover are normal in their preferred habitat. For a “dryland” species, soil moisture levels do not drop to extremely low levels in their preferred habitat.

Viola douglasii is a low elevation species. Freezing temperatures do not penetrate into the soil below 5-10 cm for the most part. High daytime summer temperatures in the 35-40 C range are a frequent occurrence. Soil moisture levels are extremely low during the summer and early autumn.

It is important to take these distinctions (and others) into consideration when attempting to grow these species.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Gerdk

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2020, 06:47:54 PM »
Thanks to Gabriela and Robert (again)!

@ Gabriela: I guess the distribution you mentioned is for var. bellidifolia while the species has a wider range in the US.
Some time ago a friend sent me seeds of adunca from the East.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gabriela

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2020, 07:04:56 PM »
Thanks to Gabriela and Robert (again)!
@ Gabriela: I guess the distribution you mentioned is for var. bellidifolia while the species has a wider range in the US.
Some time ago a friend sent me seeds of adunca from the East.
Gerd

That's what I know about V. adunca Gerd, but all is possible in this world, I guess.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2020, 07:11:02 PM »
Gabriela

The plan is to keep posting photographs of our local California native Viola species on this thread this summer.

For the general information of the readers out there, Viola bakeri is a high elevation species. Freezing soil temperatures and abundant snow cover are normal in their preferred habitat. For a “dryland” species, soil moisture levels do not drop to extremely low levels in their preferred habitat.

Viola douglasii is a low elevation species. Freezing temperatures do not penetrate into the soil below 5-10 cm for the most part. High daytime summer temperatures in the 35-40 C range are a frequent occurrence. Soil moisture levels are extremely low during the summer and early autumn.
It is important to take these distinctions (and others) into consideration when attempting to grow these species.

Thank you Robert. I usually do my homework when trying species I'm not familiar with but is always good to hear from people who are spending a lot of time in their native habitat.
I know V. douglasii is/or was grown by others in ON; we can get very hot summers so it's probably a matter of finding a location with very good drainage or where rain doesn't hit directly.

They are still at seedlings stage but it will be interesting to see how far I'll be able to go with them.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gerdk

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2020, 05:45:27 PM »
Two violets - the first does not survive outside here in my climate although it comes from higher altitudes in Chile
- the second one came from seed origniallv collected in the Eastern US - it is most probably a hybrid where V. sororia or related species are involved.
I love it for the interesting coloration of the leaves

Viola maculata
var. chillanensis
Viola hybrid - Eastern US

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Tristan_He

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2020, 07:26:53 PM »

I'm afraid I don't grow too many Violas, but the larvae of these do very well on the Viola palustris in the bog nearby. This is a Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - we have had eight of these beauties flying around the garden this year, the warm weather seems to suit them.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2020, 10:54:10 AM »
Lovely Violas thanks folks.

The following isn't recent as I took the image late last year while on a solo trip to Central Patagonia and wondered if anyone is growing it successfully.

Viola escondidaensis found on sandy steppe.

667969-0

667967-2
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:58:01 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Gerdk

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2020, 05:28:52 PM »
Viola capillaris -
another South American viola - much easier to cultivate than the beauty shown before

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Robert

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2020, 07:08:29 PM »

In their preferred habitat, Viola purpurea ssp. integrifolia is now in full bloom. This species can be quite prolific. When many are blooming at the same time the sight is very impressive.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal