We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June in the Northern Hemisphere 2020  (Read 13692 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: June in the Northern Hemisphere 2020
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2020, 07:56:56 PM »
Still working on June photos :(
A couple of Actaeas, always lovely foliage, delicate flowers, the show will come later in berries..
1--Actaea rubra, the common local species, these popped up in an old overgrown bed  from my youth, when I rebuilt after moving back, I moved them just a short distance..
2--Actaea pachypoda from Ontario, via Kristl
3--Aquilegia hybrid, from  seed  from Magnar of A ecalcarata, which gave some plants true to type, and several of these much larger, darker and spurred plants
4-- Castilleja, probably rhexifolia, seed from Jay in B.C., with Solidago multiradiata my own collection from the Alberta foothills
5--Mertensia paniculata, local species, common all over the acreage, has shown up in a number of beds from bits of root and/or seeding in, and I've left it where suitable.. these plants are at the edge of a xeric bed, and have been flowering for weeks, they are fine even in dry springs, but probably appreciating the extra moisture this year..

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2020, 09:43:58 PM »
Trying to finish June, I decided to make a few more posts here and there, and stuff a few extra photos on the blog...lol
1-2- Lonicera chamissoi-- a cute little shrubby honeysuckle-- it was forming a nice , small densely branched bush a few years back when something about winter or spring knocked it right back :( slowly returning.. the flowers are deeply coloured, but so tiny as not to be too showy-- I think showiest would be if you had really good berry year... June 11
3- Paederota bonarota -- getting better year by year June 15
4- Silenes-- a uniflora/maritima something, and the mystery pink, below that must have been from a stray seed in the mix of one of the former.. June 29
5- My latest Tulip ( I don't have any big ones) T batalinii cultivar/hybrid in front of Phlox subulata Snowflake June 15

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2020, 09:50:36 PM »
1-Rubus arcticus-- a lovely plant but I may regret having placed it in the garden near other things-- although it is a wetland plant in the wild here, it seems to have no problem climbing out of its little wet patch at the base of a rock ridge (with native Platanthera, Primula viallii etc) and spreading into the rocky areas around... serious action may yet have to be taken...lol
2-Sisyrinchium montanum-- another local native, but I did not have to plant this one in the garden, it found its own way in, and does quite nicely, with denser flowering than most of the wild plants achieve-- not quite so good this year, maybe it has been underweeded...
3- Waldsteinia- forgetting the species, have to ask Trond... still in a pot as I haven't figured out where a good place to set it free will be.. low, spreading things can be very hard to weed around, here, as there are a  lot of low, spreading weeds!

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2020, 10:32:11 PM »

3- Waldsteinia- forgetting the species, have to ask Trond... still in a pot as I haven't figured out where a good place to set it free will be.. low, spreading things can be very hard to weed around, here, as there are a  lot of low, spreading weeds!

Cohan,

It has to be W. terneata. At least that's what it is called what we get here!
It is weedy at home but not at my mountain cabin ;)

You have a nice collection! And early tulips together with summer plants.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2020, 02:43:10 PM »
Cohan,

It has to be W. terneata. At least that's what it is called what we get here!
It is weedy at home but not at my mountain cabin ;)

You have a nice collection! And early tulips together with summer plants.

Thanks! batalinii is the latest of my tulips, flowering when the early spp are well into seed production; the earliest- urumiensis, or whatever it is, flowers with Crocus.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal