We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sagina boydii wanted  (Read 1649 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Sagina boydii wanted
« on: February 24, 2020, 06:56:23 PM »
 Just  got  this message ..... from Michael Wilcox       Michaelpw22AThotmail.com  (replacing AT with @) 
Dear SRGC

I’m an amateur botanist and have an interest in Sagina – at one time there used to be S. ‘Boydii’ which was shown to be a mutant of S. procumbens. I am interested to know if anyone still grows this as I would like to have a go at crossing it with procumbens (if I can) to see what happens.

If you could ask around for S. ‘Boydii’ I would be grateful. I am unemployed with limited funds so even if I had to buy some it should be ok at a reasonable price. People could contact me by my email above for my address – though I’m a member of the Botanical Soc. of Britain & Ireland and a referee for Aphanes and Veronica hederifolia sspp and Juncus bulbous sspp so any of your members who are in the BSBI can see my address.

Regards

Michael

It now  occurs to me that  it's  been a  long time  since  I last saw  this  plant - can anyone  help Michael with this?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

Re: Sagina boydii wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »
I have also been asked if I know a supplier of Sagina boydii. It might be the same source? I can,t find a nursry which lists it now. Pottertons used to have it.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »
Maggi, in The Rock Garden, volume xxv part 2 November 1999 page 82 is a photo. of S. boydii by Maria Bennett under the article British Native Plants.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 02:53:32 PM »
Thanks, Ian.

Tristan_He

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 06:51:52 PM »
I have about a kilo of regular S. procumbens growing in my seed pots if anyone wants it  ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 09:11:19 PM »
Sagina boydii is still grown as a reasonably regular nursery item by my favourite nursery, Hokonui Alpines, in New Zealand. I had a plant for many years in a trough but it gradually became overgrown and went the way of many such plants. I bought a new one last year and that too has succumbed, to drought when I was away from home for a time at the beginning of this (now ending) summer but I'm sure it will be obtainable again either now or soon. Would cutting material be of use to Michael?

Mine flowered yearly but I can't say it was its floral display that attracted me, more the neat cushion shape.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:13:35 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 09:37:15 PM »
Nice  thought, Lesley - not  sure  if cuttings  would  make  it  through the  post  from afar though - nor  about the  regulations ?!?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 09:07:08 PM »
Well I have successfully sent cuttings through the post to several NH countries so it could be an option. As to the regs, they're OK from this end but with BREXIT now in force, who knows what's happening in the UK?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal