We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Virescent Snowdrop Recommendations  (Read 2094 times)

Tristan_He

Virescent Snowdrop Recommendations
« on: February 22, 2020, 02:17:52 PM »
So... the prices of some of the virescent snowdrops seem to be coming down a little, and I'm thinking of maybe buying a properly green and vigorous one (a the moment I have only Cow House Green which is neither particularly green nor vigorous).

Does anybody have any recommendations of particularly good ones worth looking out for? G. plicatus does not seem to do all that well in my garden but elwesii and nivalis are strong.

All advice appreciated!

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
Re: Virescent Snowdrop Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »

Does anybody have any recommendations of particularly good ones worth looking out for? G. plicatus does not seem to do all that well in my garden but elwesii and nivalis are strong.

All advice appreciated!

There are a number you could consider, Emerald Isle is a medium priced drop, Anne Wright had it on her list.

Another great source is Joze Bavcon on http://www.botanic-gardens-ljubljana.com/de/der-laden/pflanzen

He has a number of named and unnamed drops that are very good value, vigorous and which bulk quickly. He is currently selling.

If you want to push the boat out, the best two in my view are Morgana and Andrea's Fault. The prices of these are dropping but don't rule out swaps.

A search on this site using 'virescent' as the key word may provide some suggestions.

Hope this helps.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 07:17:07 PM »
My favourite virescent is Rosemary Burnham - a great performer.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 11:00:23 PM »
Many thanks both, this is really helpful.

'Morgana' looks beautiful but a bit out of my price range at least for now. Good to hear that Rosemary Burnham can be a good doer, I had heard elsewhere that she was slow but I suppose these things depend on conditions.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 10:12:15 AM »
Good to hear that Rosemary Burnham can be a good doer, I had heard elsewhere that she was slow but I suppose these things depend on conditions.

'Rosemary Burnham' has been very slow for me. Maybe it is a matter of climate or soil.
I don't have many virescent snowdrops, many which are green in other climates are not so green for me, and in many green tipped it is difficult to see the green at all here (like 'Kildare', you can only see the green tips in a certain light).
'Hugh Mackenzie' has been good so far, but 'Greenish' has been very vigorous for me (growing close to RB) and multiplying well. Of course it is small and many others like 'Morgana' are greener, but even here it's green lines look green (not yet, it is only coming up right now). For the price range of green snowdrops I think 'Greenish' is good value.
Leena from south of Finland

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 10:19:29 AM »
There are a number you could consider, Emerald Isle is a medium priced drop, Anne Wright had it on her list.

Another great source is Joze Bavcon on http://www.botanic-gardens-ljubljana.com/de/der-laden/pflanzen

He has a number of named and unnamed drops that are very good value, vigorous and which bulk quickly. He is currently selling.

If you want to push the boat out, the best two in my view are Morgana and Andrea's Fault. The prices of these are dropping but don't rule out swaps.

A search on this site using 'virescent' as the key word may provide some suggestions.

Hope this helps.
Emerald Isle does very well in the open garden and increases well - someone told me yesterday that it seeds true so maybe that explains the increase. The glossy green leaves are a bonus.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 08:52:05 AM »
I agree with Leena's recommendation.  Although Galanthus 'Greenish' isn't as green as some of the others, I have found it very easy to grow.  It typically flowers late in the season. 
Almost in Scotland.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
The glossy green leaves are a bonus.

I agree, the leaves are a real standout feature.

Tristan_He

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 11:36:46 PM »
Thanks for all your help everyone. I picked up 3 bulbs of 'Greenish' and a 'Margaret Biddulph' - am also mulling over 'Rosemary Burnham'.

David Lowndes

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 08:59:36 AM »
Claude Bishop is even greener than Margaret, although flowers are smaller.  It is also vigorous.  They should be together really...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal