We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A trio of Lewisia 'Ashwood Carousel Hybrids'  (Read 4165 times)

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
A trio of Lewisia 'Ashwood Carousel Hybrids'
« on: May 10, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »

A trio of Lewisia 'Ashwood Carousel Hybrids' This strain of lewisias has been breed and developed by Ashwood Nurseries, Kingswinford, in the West Midlands. They have been around for over a decade now and I bought a number of them several years ago in a variety of colours – magenta, yellow, pink, apricot, orange, salmon and white. They are much dwarfer than the better known Lewisa cotyledon hybrids and have come through the winters unscathed, forming a compact dome of flowers in the spring. I grow them outside, open to all the elements and here they are happy in my raised beds; each against a backdrop of tufa rocks. 
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: A trio of Lewisia 'Ashwood Carousel Hybrids'
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:13:11 PM »
Lovely pictures Lampwick (do we have to call you that, I get images in my mind of Dick Emery's old geezer every time you post!!) and some lovely plants. You have obviously a discerning eye, you grow some quality stuff, and you have a lot of experience. I'm glad you have made it to the Forum.

I haven't tried any of my Lewisia coty. hybrids outside but I suspect my Devon climate is a good bit wetter than yours.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
Re: A trio of Lewisia 'Ashwood Carousel Hybrids'
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 10:56:22 PM »

I haven't tried any of my Lewisia coty. hybrids outside but I suspect my Devon climate is a good bit wetter than yours.

Hi David,
Lewisia cotyledon hybrids.
The two pictures below were taken over 20 years ago, and were when I covered my lewisias with glass during the winter months. Even then, they were not a continued success every year and deteariated over a few seasons. (I did find that L. columbiana did better though!)

I would plant them on their sides, at a 45 degree angle, in a hole drilled in tufa; but the problem was that they would push their-selves out of the hole as the hole was usually tapered smaller as it went deeper into the tufa. I would have more success when I wedged the neck of the plant tightly between two rocks. But all that is by-the-by, and I don’t grow them outside now.

I have no problems with the Carousel Hybrids and don’t mollycoddle them in anyway. They always put on a good show of blooms, and the pictures I have included in the previous post shows that they have quite a few more buds to open yet! 8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:59:57 PM by Lampwick »
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal