Specific Families and Genera > Saxifraga

Saxifraga 2020

<< < (3/8) > >>

Maggi Young:
Super plants, David - a  delight  to  see them.  :)

David Sellars:
Thanks Maggi:
Flowering is really taking off here.  Saxifrage Sunday was planned for today for our Alpine Garden Club of British Columbia members but we had to cancel. The inspiration was the annual Waterperry Saxifraga Day. Maybe next year.  :(
Here's a few more pics.

David Nicholson:
David, I wonder please if you would give us a resume of your annual watering regime for your plants in plunges?

David Sellars:
David:

Keeping Saxifrages moist is critical especially in the summer. We like to go away hiking in the mountains in July so I have set up an automatic watering system that keeps the sand wet. The clay pots absorb the water and the evaporation from the sand keeps the whole enterprise cool.

Originally I used a small diameter soaker hose but over time it was needing to be on 2-3 hours or more a day.  I replaced it a year or so ago with flexible irrigation pipe that has emitters every 10 cm or so. The new system only needs to be on 2-3 minutes a day!

The pipe is at the base of the sand.  The box is lined with plastic but has some drain holes in case the watering system goes haywire.  The first pic shows the pipe in the foot of the box.  The second is the inlet system.  In the third pic you can see the inlet at top right.

At this time of year I water by hand directly into the pot and the sand.  I use a very coarse potting mix so can't overwater.

David Sellars:
I forgot to mention that when it gets really hot on the summer (and I am around!) I spray the whole plunge bed by hand to help cool things down and add extra moisture to the pots.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version