We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New introductions  (Read 15286 times)

Dean316

Re: New introductions
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2020, 10:13:06 PM »
From Richard Bashford a delightful snowdrop named 'Moonshine' where the scape and pedicel are decidedly paler than the receptacle.  Most unusual and not seen on other threads.
That's a top drawer drop Brian! Most desirable 😍

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2020, 11:22:30 PM »
Great ones you've posted Brian. 'Moonshine' is extraordinary.

Drooling

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 08:31:32 AM »
Great ones you've posted Brian. 'Moonshine' is extraordinary.
Richard has a wonderful eye for a snowdrop John, and he is a really good grower.  He and his partner Val have a wonderful garden and we were delighted to visit them some time ago.
That's a top drawer drop Brian! Most desirable 😍

He has many new drops in the pipeline and it will be great to show you on here when they do become available Dean .
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

WSGR

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2020, 08:45:20 AM »
Brian: i would like to stake my name on one as well. Just downloaded the catalogue!

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2020, 08:57:32 AM »
Brian: i would like to stake my name on one as well. Just downloaded the catalogue!

I think you may have downloaded last years catalogue it should say 2020 on the cover....

Dean316

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2020, 09:37:48 AM »
Richard has a wonderful eye for a snowdrop John, and he is a really good grower.  He and his partner Val have a wonderful garden and we were delighted to visit them some time ago. 
He has many new drops in the pipeline and it will be great to show you on here when they do become available Dean .
Yes Brian. Woodchippings always provide an instant clump with their pots. I was delighted with 'Swanton' recently which had 4 in a pot! They are affordable to us mere mortals too which stops the new snowdrop world being only available to the wealthy or well connected. It would be awful if growing snowdrops becomes an elitist pastime.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2020, 10:36:51 AM »
Ian Young  was  speaking at the  recent  AGS Snowdrop Day  and  he  tells  me that watching the  people  come  into the  hall, the  stall they  headed to first  was  Woodchippings - he  also noted that  the  pots  there  all had  numerous  bulbs  in them. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2020, 11:17:24 AM »
A new introduction from Andy Byfield, Galanthus gracilis ‘Snow Flurry’. This is bulking well and is a wonderful addition to Andy's deep green series. Always good to have some idea of how these new ones perform in the garden.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:23:33 AM by Maggi Young »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »
Another which is actually available later this week was actually found by those great galanthophiles David and Ruby Baker.  It is an inverse poculiform which is very slow to increase - but worth the wait!  Not surprisingly it is called 'Never Before'

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2020, 01:02:36 PM »
...Not surprisingly it is called 'Never Before'
It reminds me of 'Cutie-Pie'; is it another nivalis?
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2020, 01:19:59 PM »
Another which is actually available later this week was actually found by those great galanthophiles David and Ruby Baker.  It is an inverse poculiform which is very slow to increase - but worth the wait!  Not surprisingly it is called 'Never Before'

My I do like that one! And fond memory of meeting Ruby Baker at an RHS Show.  She was so very pleasant and easy to get along with, an honorable Galanthophile.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Dean316

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2020, 01:37:23 PM »
That's another super cute ipoc Brian! So good of you to share varieties that will be available to Joe Public, thank you 👍

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2020, 02:37:07 PM »
Ian Young  was  speaking at the  recent  AGS Snowdrop Day  and  he  tells  me that watching the  people  come  into the  hall, the  stall they  headed to first  was  Woodchippings - he  also noted that  the  pots  there  all had  numerous  bulbs  in them.

I have heard from several of the attendees who stated that the BD's presentation was the outstanding highlight of the day Maggs!

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2020, 04:19:41 PM »
'Evenley Double' was found by the late Timothy Whiteley in his Evenley Woods.  A super double with very dark green apical marks and green tips to the outers.  Also available later this week.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »
'Evenley Double'  has  pretty  markings. Are  there   two flower stems  in your  picture, Brian? I thought  for  a  moment that  it  was  a twin-scape?  It was  first  shown in the  forum  in 2015.

Edit  to add :  Evenley Wood Garden

2nd February – 3 March, Northamptonshire

"Enjoy over 80 varieties of snowdrop at this beautiful 60-acre woodland garden, such as Galanthus ‘Evenley Double’, a special snowdrop which was developed and propagated on site, and other notable varieties like ‘Hill Poe’ and ‘Lady Beatrix Stanley’. Roaming guinea fowl included."

Tel: 07776 307849; evenleywoodgarden.co.uk
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 11:15:41 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal