We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2020  (Read 51120 times)

Carsten

Re: Hepatica 2020
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 07:36:20 AM »
Dear Koko,
yes, we are a group of four and I´am looking forward to meet you there.
Hope there will be some good pics to post here, fermi  ;)
Bavarian Oberland - 695m - zone 6b

KK-Ann Arbor

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 12:55:12 PM »
Great!  Looking forward to meet you at the show.
Koko
in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - USDA Zone 5a

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 02:37:08 PM »
The first transsilvanica flower of this year in our garden: Hepatica transsilvanica 'Winterfreude'
Belgium

Ingrida

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 05:48:47 PM »
We had no normal winter this year in Lithuania, so I also have first flower of hepatica X MEDIA AVATAR in my garden  :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:06:13 PM by Ingrida »

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 01:02:47 AM »
The first transsilvanica flower of this year in our garden: Hepatica transsilvanica 'Winterfreude'

Wow - it stands up to its name Herman, a true winter joy!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 01:06:01 AM »
We had no normal winter this year in Lithuania, so I also have first flower of hepatica X MEDIA AVATAR in my garden  :)

Avatar has a lovely flower Ingrida.

One of my first H. japonica to flower (in the garage); they receive triple attention than the Hepatica flowering outdoors in late spring :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

WSGR

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 07:53:24 AM »
Gabriela - nice way to start a morning! Would love to know what camera and lens you took the stunner!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »
Lovely photos  from everyone  - I think one  of the  best  things  about  pictures  of  hepatica flowers  is that we  can see  so much detail in them, at  greatly  enlarged  size  from the  actual size  of these  little  gems!!

Thanks  for  trying  again to load  your  photo, Ingrida  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gabriela

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 12:28:38 AM »
Gabriela - nice way to start a morning! Would love to know what camera and lens you took the stunner!

Thank you WSGR, you may be disappointed to know that I am still using an old Fuji camera, no special lens. I cannot even read out the model nr. anymore!  I have problems letting go of it and desperate that they don't produce anything similar anymore.
Anyone can take good pictures with a normal camera, just needs patience and perseverance.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2020, 12:37:54 AM »
Lovely photos  from everyone  - I think one  of the  best  things  about  pictures  of  hepatica flowers  is that we  can see  so much detail in them, at  greatly  enlarged  size  from the  actual size  of these  little  gems!!

True Maggi, same goes for the Galanthus ;)  It is also that they flower so early when not much is in flower (nothing else here at least) so we are desperate and have more time for 'detailing'.
As for me, I greatly enjoy their foliage as well and when the new leaves start growing I probably take an equal nr. of pictures.

One more :)) to compensate for tonight's temperature: -21C!

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

WSGR

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2020, 06:16:59 AM »
Thank you WSGR, you may be disappointed to know that I am still using an old Fuji camera, no special lens. I cannot even read out the model nr. anymore!  I have problems letting go of it and desperate that they don't produce anything similar anymore.
Anyone can take good pictures with a normal camera, just needs patience and perseverance.

On the contrary, I love old cameras: I have a Samsung PL20 but can't really get this close. The blue one is simply a stunner! The blue is so saturated and rich. My little camera was refurbished when I bought it for £89 and now it can't close properly. Very frustrating, but it lets in a lot of light. I bought a new mirrorless Samsung and I am very disappointed as the close ups are rubbish and on the top of that it is heavy.

Lovely plants and lovely photos, Gabriela!

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2020, 10:37:13 AM »
Beautiful pictures Gabriela! You said that your plants are standing in the garage, then you probably also use artificial light.
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2020, 05:09:46 PM »
Today some sun! So the Hepatica's react with flowers.
Hepatica nobilis 'Rubra'
Hepatica henryi
Hepatica pyrenaica
Belgium

Gabriela

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 12:35:59 AM »
On the contrary, I love old cameras: I have a Samsung PL20 but can't really get this close. The blue one is simply a stunner! The blue is so saturated and rich. My little camera was refurbished when I bought it for £89 and now it can't close properly. Very frustrating, but it lets in a lot of light. I bought a new mirrorless Samsung and I am very disappointed as the close ups are rubbish and on the top of that it is heavy.

Lovely plants and lovely photos, Gabriela!

Your Helleborus pictures are very nice WSGR, so your camera is not that bad. In any case, one good candidate regarding features like: good close-ups & landscape/and not heavy, would be the Olympus camera the Bulb Despot showed at some point. Don't remember the exact model but there was a featured Bulb log about it.
Maggi will come to the rescue I'm sure :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2020, 12:47:50 AM »
Today some sun! So the Hepatica's react with flowers.
Hepatica nobilis 'Rubra'
Hepatica henryi
Hepatica pyrenaica

Always exciting to see your VERY large established clumps Herman!

Yes, I use small LED panels. Last year I bought one in a hurry and then 2 more. I wasn't too convinced they'll be any good but all the Hepaticas grew well until I was able to take them outside.
Right now I bring them in the house almost every day and put them back in the garage in the evening. I don't have many pots so it's not much trouble. This may simulate outdoor conditions temp. wise, I can take nice pictures :) and hopefully there will be some pollination happening (with my help).

One more picture for one more super-cold night. This one grows very, very slow comparing with the others.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal