We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris non-bearded 2020  (Read 5445 times)

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
Re: Iris non-bearded 2020
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2020, 11:22:57 PM »
Fermi, my spurias are still at the seedling stage. I got a mixed package seeds from Jelitto, so who knows what will become of them. May I ask you how moist you keep that bed during your hot summer?. If I understand correctly, spurias are mesic plants, quite moisture loving but not as much as Iris maackii, or I. ensata. In my newbye knowledge they are placed nearer to sibiricas in terms of their watering needs. Since my garden is placed atop a sandy substrate, anything that needs water retaining soil is doomed from the start unless one devises something that will simulate a bog. I'm trying out creating my beds lining them with left-over plastic greenhouse lining that has been discarded from our vegetable operation, because the lining has lost its transparency. However it is still water tight. I've tried this with my water loving Primulas (P.florindae and P.vialli) and am planning it for my pond edge irises. Thank you in advance.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2020, 07:57:06 AM »
Hi Arturo,
I find the spurias are a lot more adapted to our climate than ensatas and even sibericas.
Some of them get a little bit of summer water but most just survive on the winter rain - however the soil here is heavy clay so probably holds more moisture than yours. I think you'd have to keep an eye on yours and give them some water if they start to look stressed during the hot weather, especially when they are young.
Good luck - I look forward to seeing pics when they flower,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2020, 10:37:27 AM »
Thank you Fermi, I just have to make sure they grow beyond the seedling stage then. They seem at least easy for you, and that gives me a fair idea of what they need.
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal