We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Robert’s Crystal Range Project – Year 2, 2020  (Read 31482 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: Robert’s Crystal Range Project – Year 2, 2020
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2020, 03:09:41 PM »
Arturo, I read recently that for its size, England is the most densely populated country in the world. It,s getting worse not better.

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2020, 03:23:27 PM »
Who knows?, perhaps this pandemic might start a new wave of positive redistribution of the world's population. After all New world countries tapped on immigration to build their present demographics. Personally, I wouldn't mind a few new neighbors from abroad at all! My back fence ranch owned by a single family ( of German ascent) is 60000 hectares. It is so big that Bariloche's international airport is completely surrounded by it! The owner's are typical absentee landlords. Their nearest outpost, to my home is at least 700 mts. away and shelters a gaucho cowhand and his family. The rest is just uninhabited open Patagonian steppe with a few range cattle and horses.
( I don't work for any real estate... ;D)
Arturo Tarak

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2020, 11:05:48 PM »
Ian,

The guidelines for safely and biosecurity concerning the corona virus have been somewhat inconsistent in the USA. As time has progressed the inconsistencies and frustrations of the citizens are increasing. Personally, I have desired to cooperate with the guidelines for the common good of everyone. My personal policy will be to maintain strict biosecurity standards, most likely, well beyond what is being recommended by the various governmental agencies. I am not worried about contracting or dying from the virus, however I feel a strong commitment to keep other people safe and healthy. I do not want others to be harmed by thoughtless or insensitive behavior on my part.

My absence from the Sierra Nevada has been more of a personal choice. I feel sure that I could have continued my activities without upsetting the authorities. However, as stated above, I wish to do my part to ameliorate the difficult situation with the COVID19 virus. I have put this time to good use. For example, I have been working on a 30 to 60 day long-term weather forecasting model. It is a very complicated task (an understatement) and would be best described as a learning tool where I can continually improve and keep active many skills in mathematics and atmospheric science. These are also skills that I use to better understand the plants and ecosystems that I study in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, so there is an application toward botany and horticulture if one wants to pursue these things in this manner. Anyway, I have done my best to make the best of the situation.

More photographs from my outing last week.

Eriogonum prattenianum var. prattenianum is a xeric species with beautiful gray foliage. The creamy yellow flowers will emerge later in the season.

Lewisia triphylla is quite ephemeral. They emerge from the ground early in the spring, bloom, set seed and then quickly go dormant until the following spring. At this site, there will not be enough time to study this species in detail this season.

A unique ecotype of Primula hendersonii is found on Peavine and Telephone Ridges. Unlike many other populations of Primula hendersonii in our area the populations on Peavine and Telephone Ridges are very fertile and set seed most seasons. This ecotype, of course, has other unique characteristics that distinguish them from the type species.

Sanicula tuberosa is a very common early blooming species in this portion of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Viola purpurea ssp. integrifolia is commonly seen on the crest of Peavine Ridge. This species is frequently seen growing in full sun. Heat fluxes in and out of the soil throughout the season are important considerations when attempting to understand the behavior of this subspecies.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:08:33 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2020, 11:45:08 PM »
Robert
    Your lovely Primula ( Dodecatheon) clevelandii has germinated very well this fall here. They are being kept under cover this winter since I really don't know much about their growing strategies. I would expect that by the time your wild plants set seeds the terrain gradually dries up until most spring plants either go dormant or die ( if annuals) I ask myself if the ease of fall germination is to overcome lack of summer moisture. I expect thus many of your annuals or herbaceous perennials may pass winter at a small seedling state covered by leaf mulch or snow. am I correct?
    Eriogonum is another genus that ought to adapt well here....they combine well with xeric Penstemons.
     Arturo
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:04:20 PM by hamparstum »
Arturo Tarak

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2020, 02:04:31 AM »
Hi Robert,
I appreciate your consideration of others in curtailing your activities.
It's wonderful to see your flora springing alive again,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2020, 08:29:49 AM »

(Attachment Link)
Viola purpurea ssp. integrifolia is commonly seen on the crest of Peavine Ridge. This species is frequently seen growing in full sun. Heat fluxes in and out of the soil throughout the season are important considerations when attempting to understand the behavior of this subspecies.

Robert,
It seems this viola grows in volcanic substrate - do I spot this correctly?
Another question is - would you please let me know what heat fluxes in and out of the soil means concerning cultivation of this
tricky species?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Robert

« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2020, 04:17:44 AM »
Gerd,

To answer your first question, yes, in our region Viola purpurea ssp. integrifolia is found on soils based on andesite, a volcanic igneous type rock. Much of Peavine Ridge consists of an ancient andesite Lhar. Andesite is quite common in our region. In our region, other subspecies of Viola purpurea can be found on soils based on metamorphic rock (such as schist and other metamorphic rocks) and plutonic igneous rock (granodiorite in quite common).

The answer to your second question:

I am attempting to describe the energy flow (heat conduction) through the soil on an annual and diurnal basis and how this impacts the flora. As an example, on Peavine Ridge (~ 5,000 feet, 1,524 meters) during the wintertime (December through March) soil temperatures at 10 cm rarely fall below 37 F (2.8 C). The top 5 cm, or so, can routinely become frozen, especially if there is no snow cover. However, during the winter the conduction of heat 10 cm and below is upward toward the surface. The caudex and dormant buds of some species (such as Viola purpurea ssp. integrifolia) are found at soil depths below 7 cm and are protected from hard freezing temperatures even during times when there is no snow cover.

In the Lyons Creek Basin (~ 6.700 feet, 2,042 meters – the lower end), soil temperatures at 15 cm routinely remain at 32 F (O C) during the wintertime (with snow cover). During periods of time when there is no snow cover, soil temperatures at 15 cm can drop as low as 28 F (-2.2 C) for brief periods of time. Because heat conduction is upward during the winter, these soil temperatures are generally of short duration. Viola purpurea is not found at this elevation.

During the summertime, on Peavine Ridge, soil temperatures at 10 cm can rise as high as 110 F (43.3 C) on a hot sunny afternoon. Needless to say heat conduction is downward during the summer. Temperatures at 15 cm can be as much as 10 F (5.6 C) lower during the same time period, and as one goes deeper the soil temperatures cool further. In addition, during the summer the top 20 to 30 cm of the soil are quite dry. All of this impacts the growth and behavior of the native plants in this region and has applications in our gardens if we wish to succeed in growing these plants. Concerning Viola purpurea and other species, I frequently use a simple dose-response curve to measure the magnitude of the effect soil temperatures have on these species at different elevations and ecosystems. This is helps me determine the optimal soil temperature range during different seasons for species such as Viola purpurea. This turns out to be quite important with many species.

I wish that I had an easier answer to your second question. Believe it or not this is the simple answer. There is actually a considerable amount more that I do.

Arturo,

I do have some comments concerning your questions too. I will gladly get to this as soon as I can however there are a few other things that I need to get done.

Fermi,

I have not forgotten you either! Thank you for the kind remarks. I don not think that I do anything special, but I do hope that it helps a little.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:21:34 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2020, 06:39:04 AM »
Robert, thank you for this extensive response.
As you said - this is a simple answer but it is not easy to adapt the conditions in nature to cultivation.
Especially the watering regime during summer will be a challenge.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

ian mcdonald

« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »
Robert, it looks like there could be a PhD in your studies.

Robert

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2020, 09:32:00 PM »
Gerd,

I agree 100%, it is not easy to adapt conditions in nature to cultivation, however having a good understanding of conditions in nature can be very helpful toward finding a path toward successful cultivation of difficult species. I attribute my success with Viola sheltonii, to date, to a careful detailed study of their growing conditions in the wild. Growing this species in large tubs has helped ameliorate large swings in the soil temperature, both winter and summer. It has also been helpful in maintaining the proper moisture content of the soil during their dry dormant period during the summer and autumn. Controlling the water content and temperature of the soil during the summer months is vital in controlling microorganisms that frequently destroying the dormant growth buds and cause rot. Controlling rot appears to be more of a function of maintaining a “just” moist water content of the soil rather than drainage. My soil mixture purposely contains clay to achieve this type of moisture management.

Arturo,

Your statement “…many of your annuals and herbaceous perennials may pass the winter at a small seedling state covered by leaf mulch or snow…” is partly correct. At the lower elevations of the Sierra Nevada Mountains (mostly the “foothill” region) this general idea applies well. There are always exceptions, but for the most part your idea holds true.

Concerning the timing of germination, as altitude increases the timing of germination also changes. It can be helpful to understand that as altitude increase the number of annual species decreases. At the highest elevations in the Crystal Range annual species are rarely or never seen. Where annuals are found near their altitudinal limit they are always spring germinating. Perennials at the higher altitude are also spring germinating. The vernalization/stratification process is essential for the successful germination of these species.

There are a few annual species that are found in the transition zone between the lower elevation life zones and the higher elevation life zones that will germinate, both, with the autumn rainfall/cooler temperatures and frequently with a delayed germination in the spring as the weather settles considerably. As an example, during the autumn or winter, a percentage of Erythranthe (Mimulus) bicolor, an annual species, seed will germinate and start growth. Frequently, but not always, a new set of seed will germinate after much of the snow and cold weather has ended for the season. This is a great survival strategy. During drought/dry conditions the early set of seedlings are much more likely to flower and set seed. If frost, snow, or other weather conditions destroy the first crop of seedlings, the later germinating seed will frequently survive to produce seed for the next season. I see this repeatedly.

I hope this helps with your understanding of our California native species.

Robert, it looks like there could be a PhD in your studies.
Ian,

Something more like Antoni Van Leeuwenhoek would most likely be more accurate, maybe Michael Faraday.  :)

Now for the last of the photographs from last week.

Ceanothus cuneatus var. cuneatus is at its high altitude limit on Peavine Ridge.

Ceanothus prostratus var. prostratus is a beautiful mat forming species.

The deep blue flowering forms of Ceanothus prostratus var. prostratus are especially nice. This species is generally very difficult to cultivate.

This is a poor photograph, however the tiny flowering Collinsia torreyi var. torreyi is very beautiful when growing at its best.

Viola sheltonii growing in the shade of Yellow Pine, Pinus ponderosa.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:38:03 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2020, 09:33:51 PM »

This leaf of Calochortus minimus is full of anthocyanin. I visit this plant every season and it consistently displays this phenotype characteristic. Later as the weather warms more, the leaf will turn green. So far all of the Calochortus minimus that I have tested for anthocyanin contain some level of this substance, however the plant pictured is very unusual with this degree of concentration.

Also pictured are newly emerging plants of Viola purpurea ssp. integrifolia.

A nice view of the Telephone Ridge and the canyon of the South Fork of the American River in the distance.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2020, 05:14:16 PM »
Regrettably, I have been delayed getting out to do field work. Hopefully, I will be out in 10 days or so.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »

I was able to visit the Sierra Nevada Mountains this week and have some nice photographs. I will share a few as I can in the following week or so.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2020, 06:20:45 PM »
Still quite  a  lot  of snow  about!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »
We have a very worrisome situation in our part of California. National Guard troops with loaded weapons on our streets, police helicopters, sirens, violence and chaos. I have never seen anything like this in my life! Needless to say no postings. We are safe, at least at this time.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal