We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Astilbe biternata  (Read 817 times)

P. Kohn

Astilbe biternata
« on: December 10, 2019, 08:11:17 AM »
This is the only North American Astilbe. Pictures show it to be a fine looking plant but we cannot find any UK supplier and seeds seem to be unavailable. Maybe it is too similar to Aruncus dioicus ?

We would really like to give it a try in a new North American woodland planting in Sheffield Botanic Gardens. Can anyone suggest a source of seeds or even plants ?  One or two US nurseries do offer it (though most of them seem to have sold out) but the difficulties and costs of importing from the US make that route impractical for us.

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
Re: Astilbe biternata
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 12:15:11 PM »
I grow this from my own wild collections, but my plants have not yet recovered well enough from my relatively recent move. Hopefully next year I'll get some seed from my plants.

It can be a really fantastic garden plant and when happy can be nearly 2 meters tall.
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

P. Kohn

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »
Just don't understand why it hasn't found its way to the UK. If we have no other success in tracking this down. would you be able to send seed next year ?

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »
If I get seed I should be able to. It is not a common plant in the wild and has a small distribution in the southern Appalachians. I think Aruncus is often confused with it both in gardens and in the herbarium.
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

P. Kohn

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »
Many thanks. WE hadn't realised quite how rare it is in the wild.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal