We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: How to stop cats 'digging' up your plants  (Read 20311 times)

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
Re: How to stop cats 'digging' up your plants
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 06:27:23 PM »
Hi All,
Maby try this one,not joking,we all get those cd on the magazines for free,and the usualy end up in the bin, I tie them on a bit of string and the other end on a smal bamboo cane and let them jingle dangle over the parts of the garden were I dont like birds or cats interfering.
Watch the licht splashing alover a nice area,you have to move them now and then dough.But I do like cats to and dogs also  ;) ;)
keep me up to date please,and pas on the message how to make use of the unwanted CD
Geebo
Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 07:56:59 PM »
Im my garden most use the raised beds but some use the gravel. It's not small gravel either
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

SueG

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »
I'll come clean - I have two cats, used to have three but last one died and, yes I know that they do get other people nerves, garden etc. Mind you I not that fond of these in my garden - other peoples children, sweetie papers, fag ends, urinating over the wall, stealing my plants etc etc
I'm also not impressed by suggestions of lead shot, one of my cats has an air gun pellet behind one ear which has been there for many years - if I every find who did that . . . . 2mm to the left and her skull would have been shattered
The best deterrent I've found is a washing up bottle filled with water and kept by the door into the garden - yes I'll squirt my own cats as well as the others.

The only thing I can't stand is people who have cats who don't get them neutered or spayed - all mine are done that way but the local tom cat who comes inside hasn't been done - if I ever catch him, we're off to the vets!
Rant over, now back to work
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Greenmanplants

• With Sparklers in November
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 12:22:26 AM »
While this is not a large scale solution, I always found that the cats were especially attracted to recently prepared seedling beds where I had lined out trillium or anything special in a gritty mix.

Now as a matter of course when I do this I add a few old holly leaves, strange how the local cats have learned to avoid newly dug seedling beds.

An acquaintance of mine had a rabbit problem so went up the food chain a bit!!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 12:24:12 AM by Greenmanplants »
Cheers, John H. Hampshire
 England, zone 8/9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »
A simple but effective remedy, John, knowing how vicious the spines on old holly leaves can be when clearing up around the tree. Ouch!  Handsome rabbit catcher you picture, sitting on the baby iris, are they? I thought at first it was another of Thomas' hats, a real Davey Crockett one this time!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 10:23:07 PM »
I solved the cat problem by getting a dog, a border collie that can run very fast,result, no more cats. A female dog will not water your plants.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 11:19:31 PM »
A dog came into my garden once and stood on one of my orchids.  >:( It hasn't been back!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2007, 08:36:47 AM »
Our main problem is with a dog also. A neighbour has three spaniels that he walks loose in the field behind the house. Two are OK but the third is uncontrolable and races through gardens with its big feet. The neighbour is an ignorant ****** who just puts two fingers up at us all.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal