We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: ga3  (Read 1597 times)

Véronique Macrelle

ga3
« on: November 19, 2019, 09:06:00 AM »
Is ga3 not recommended for particular species, genus ?

and on the contrary for which species is it particularly effective?

I want to organize a Ga3 workshop for people who seed, and who are not too much far from me.
 I used it at home the last year on of numerous kinds, without its being always one sucked from the first spring. On the contrary, I saw germination from better on Clematis, for instance.

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
Re: ga3
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
Hallo Véronique,

just a tip for your workshop:

After my experience one of the most common mistakes in using ga3 is the use of the wrong dissolvent. Ga3 is not soluble in water, so it is solved first in some drops of alcohol and the mixture then filled up with destilled water. But using pure alcohol (ethanol) from the pharmacie is a must. Denatured alcohol (alcool à brûler) contains substances that destroy the effect of ga3 by altering its chemical structure or killing the embryos during the germinating process.

BW
Hannelore

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 10:12:34 AM »
thank you for this precision

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:02:07 AM »
I had to look up GA3.  For the chemists amongst us it is: (3S,3aS,4S,4aS,7S,9aR,9bR,12S)-7,12-Dihydroxy-3-methyl-6-methylene-2-oxoperhydro-4a,7-methano-9b,3-propenoazuleno[1,2-b]furan-4-carboxylic acid.  For those who prefer shorter names it is Gibberellic acid. 

Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibberellic_acid thence a link to why you might want to use it for seed germination: http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/gibberellic.html 
Almost in Scotland.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 08:38:01 AM »

can alcohol modified at 70 ° in pharmacies be suitable?

this workshop will be done at home in France in Nord Pas de Calais or Haut de France. I can invite a few other people who would like to process their seeds: It will be on February 8 at 2 p.m.

contact me by messaging.

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 09:05:23 AM »
Hallo Véronique,

if the 70° Alkohol is suitable - I don't know it. But as the preparation of this solution is made with pure water, it may do as well as 98°. Today I'll start with some vegetables: Tomatoes, peppers, chillis and physalis - only those with a long cultivation period. By chance I have only Alcohol 70° here and I'm too lazy to drive to a pharmacie again, so I'll try that. I'll report what happens.

Best wishes
Hannelore

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 07:02:46 AM »
and you use ga3 for tomato or pepper seeds?

I was wondering if we can also use ga3 to force bulbils to start. I have already noticed that there is always a percentage of bulbils (gladiolus, Arisaema, Lilium or Dicentra which refuse to start)

I even noticed that bulbs of Lilium sargentiae fallen near the big parent bulb start while those planted in a separate pot remain dormant, so it is certainly a question of hormone.

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 07:48:01 AM »
the method for soaking the seeds that I'm going to use is the one with coffee pots paper, described in image here
https://plantes-passion.forumactif.fr/t1507-utilisation-de-lacide-gibberellique-ga3
it allows me to process fifty or more species at once.
 and for my guests, they will easily take their seeds during treatment to sow them the next day at their home.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal