Seedy Subjects! > Seed Exchange

SRGC Seed Exchange - note re name changes to Narcissus in previous lists.

<< < (2/2)

Maggi Young:
I agree this is  useful information - so I  have  made  it  a  topic.
It was  simply  confusing to  have  it  in the  Seed Ex. 73 thread where the  numbers are  not  applicable.  :)

Rafa:
thank you Maggi!! :-* :-* :-*

bainbridges:
Hi Rafa et al

I'm not sure where to start on this subject;  so here goes.  We get over 7000 packets of seed donated to the exchange, and we cannot check every name every year, of course.  We keep a spreadsheet of over 24000 names for the exchange and note when we have checked a name on it.  Until this year we used 'The Plant List' but that is no longer being maintained so we are in the process of changing to 'Plants of the World Online', which means more changes.  Until there is a really up-to-date book of narcissus names we'll stick to POWO nomenclature in future, but that will inevitably mean we change some names from those on the donated packet.....  there's no complete or simple answer is there?
It's also true that we won't always stick to POWO names:  POWO sinks Meconopsis into Papaver, and just think what an outcry we'd have from the Meconopsis Group if we did that!!  They also sink most Hebes, Parahebes, and anything else with Hebe in the name into Veronica....help!!
Any advice on best sources of up-to-date and authoritative Narcissus names would be welcome...

Best wishes

Ian & Carole B

Rafa:
I'm sorry Ian I think I can't cite any authority on the Narcissus genus. This list of names is the result of a group of amateurs that have verified in the field many of the species that the supposed authorities have published.

Just one example Narcissus cordubensis. Most of you are growing Narcissus jonquilla subsp. cerrolazae, that was introduced under Narcissus cordubensis, which is ivalid. In the type locality the only species that you can find is a simple Narcissus fernandesii. So, like you I also request.... help!! :) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version