We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus November 2019  (Read 6972 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Crocus November 2019
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2019, 10:10:34 AM »
We took some quite long dirty road through pine forest, our Fiat Panda was sufficiently high to drive on such quite stony road. There were many spots with pulchellus, although quite sparsely positioned, less densely as I supposed. Forest ended into huge plato of stones. In spring I found there Crocus balansae, now we stopped for pulchellus and just near road found few still blooming "pallasii", too. Between stones were only wilted flowers, but there, covered with small mud-slide corms turned buried deeper than usually, so blooming delayed. About weather conditions you can judge by deep ground splits caused by hot and dry weather.
Next day started with clouds and some minor rain which soon stopped. We maid another circle criss-crossing island and looking for "pallasii"but found it accidentally at only one spot, again last flowers just on roadside between some pulchellus. Habitat was less stony with more soil as you can judge on last two pictures.
Although we visited some beaches, I and Vaclav already felt quite uncomfortable, so we both not used last possibility this year to swim, but our friend Jirka still enjoyed warm waters of Aegean Sea.
In morning we drove to Airport, where we left car to be picked up later by rental company. Followed 5 hours in Athens airport for all of us, but for me another 5 hours in Frankfurt Airport, so I got to home only at 3 o'clock in night. In morning I checked my plants, potted few collected corms - and then followed 2.5 weeks mostly passed in bed with short breaks at computer. But I was very satisfied with trip - just for possibility to get authentic data from wild and for herbariums.
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal