We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Any of these species wanted.  (Read 9674 times)

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
Any of these species wanted.
« on: May 06, 2008, 10:27:12 PM »
Hello everybody,
does anyone know where I could get any of these species?

Aconitum moldavicum
Aconitum bucovinense
Aconitum degenii
Aconitum lasiocarpum
Gentiana/Gentianella ciliata
Gentiana frigida
Gentianella bohemica
Gentianella germanica
Gladiolus palustris
Linnaea borealis
Melittis melissophyllum
Saxifraga retusa ssp. retusa

Thank you in advance for any answer. (Last edit: 01 X 2008)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:23:36 PM by Cephalotus »
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Any of these species wanted.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:59:09 PM »
Krzysztof from that list I can let you have a cutting of Salix reticulata but I'm not sure when they are taken for best results
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:26:53 AM »
Wow, Mark, your Salix reticulata looks fantastic. Or maybe it is that species that always look great. :) Hmm, I am not sure when it is good time for taking cuttings. I must ask my cousin. Surely not the flowering parts. But if it is like other Salix species, a bit time spent in water should do it. To be honest. In all my books I have here is Nothing about this species. I do not even know what type of soil it prefers.

The owner of this plant did not agree to give me any cuttings. :-\ (Look at the Trillium seedling.)
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:48:10 AM »
I can also provide you with a Salix reticulata plant some time during summer. And I will have seeds of Androcase lactea and Delphinium oxysepalum in the autumn. Cornus suecica is also no problem, the woods here are full of them.
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
Heheh. :) Magnar, I just got used to that you have so rare species. :) I really liked that sentence: "Cornus suecica is also no problem, the woods here are full of them." In my country this species used to grow in high mountains. It is now an extinct species in my country... Still I am looking for it. :) I will be glad to have one from you. :) Also the seeds interest me very much. Many thanks!
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Magnar

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 01:19:59 PM »
Heheh. :) Magnar, I just got used to that you have so rare species. :) I really liked that sentence: "Cornus suecica is also no problem, the woods here are full of them." In my country this species used to grow in high mountains. It is now an extinct species in my country... Still I am looking for it. :) I will be glad to have one from you. :) Also the seeds interest me very much. Many thanks!

I don't have to walk more than 20 meter from my doorstep to find Cornus suecia.

Here's quite a good plant from near our mountain cabin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 01:47:55 PM »
Oh, yes, Magnar.... "quite a good plant" indeed !! ;) ;)  ::) :o 8) Pity you don't have a couple of those in pots to bring to the Aberdeen Show on Saturday 17th.... we would make you very welcome!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 04:51:26 PM »
Maggi, I do not see any problem. Magnar will take this huge clump and put in a pot. :D ;)
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 08:46:04 PM »
Magnar - An awesome clump of Cornus suecica. My land in the south of Nova Scotia is covered in Cornus canadensis, in fact it is an absolute weed along with Clintonia borealis. BUT that's the species (C. suecica) I have tried to grow and never had luck sprouting the seed. Fantastic black eye.

Krzysztof - I can send you Linnaea borealis cuttings and Salix reticulata, an extremely dwarf form growing in a trough here. Mark - I could never root any of these dwarf arctic willow believe it or not, notably S. vestita. A friend sent cuttings one December and said to put them in the refrigerator in a plastic bag with a tiny bit of live sphagnum. He said if there were no signs of roots 1 month before the ones outdoors leafed out to strike them in moist sand outside. They all rooted inside and the sluggish ones outside. H esaid they have a tendency to rot in the bench using normal rooting procedures.  So Krzysztof I can send between November and March.  I will need a reminder with your address.

johnw
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:22:12 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 09:36:05 PM »
John, could you write in other words these two sentences, I have a bit problem with understanding them. :( "He said if there were no signs of roots 1 month before the ones outdoors leafed out to strike them in moist sand outside. They all rooted inside and the sluggish ones outside." You wrote something extremely interesting to me and I want to understand it correctly. And there is never Salix reticulata too much. I will share with it to my cousin and together try to propagate it more in Poland.

John, are you interested in Pulsatilla slavica? I will have one for you for sure... If that goes so fast I will be out of P. slavica in few days. Nice. :D Certainly I need to propagate it fast! :D
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

johnw

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 10:26:17 PM »
John, could you write in other words these two sentences, I have a bit problem with understanding them. :( "He said if there were no signs of roots 1 month before the ones outdoors leafed out to strike them in moist sand outside. They all rooted inside and the sluggish ones outside." You wrote something extremely interesting to me and I want to understand it correctly. And there is never Salix reticulata too much. I will share with it to my cousin and together try to propagate it more in Poland.

John, are you interested in Pulsatilla slavica? I will have one for you for sure... If that goes so fast I will be out of P. slavica in few days. Nice. :D Certainly I need to propagate it fast! :D

Krzysztof - If you get alpine Salix cuttings in the winter, put them in the refrigerator in a plastic bag with a little green sphagnum moss. Keep them there until spring. They may root in the bags. If not, root outdoors in sand. Put them out to root about 2 weeks before the Salix in your area normally leaf out. Also plants you have already in the ground, root them in sand just as they are making leaves.

Unlike other Salix these arctic ones - too long in the propagating bench causes rotting of the cuttings.

Seed of the Pulsatilla would be great.

I can send the cuttings next March or during the winter.

Here is my 10-15 year old Salix reticulata in a trough.

johnw 

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:55:51 PM »
John, thank you very much for explaining that method. It is really fantastic. :) Unfortunately, I do not have any material of arctic Salix species to try on. :] And please, you are killing me! This plant, Salix reticulata on your photo is more than 10 years old?! Wow, and my cousin said, after a first blink, that this is an expansive species. :D I must show here that photo. :)

I do not have any seeds of Pulsatilla slavica, or any other rare ones, but I will try to get them. :)
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

johnw

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 03:33:07 AM »
I do not have any seeds of Pulsatilla slavica, or any other rare ones, but I will try to get them. :)

Krzyzstof - Do not worry about the Pulsatilla seed, I have far too many plants neglected already.

The Salix is very dwarf but it also is a trough that never gets re-planted with new soil mix (well once since 1986) or fertilized - ever!

Am quite happy just to send cuttings of whatever.

johnw

Magnar

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »
Oh, yes, Magnar.... "quite a good plant" indeed !! ;) ;)  ::) :o 8) Pity you don't have a couple of those in pots to bring to the Aberdeen Show on Saturday 17th.... we would make you very welcome!

You gave me an idea there Maggi.. may be I should.. but this year its too late ;)

Magnar

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 08:28:59 PM »
Maggi, I do not see any problem. Magnar will take this huge clump and put in a pot. :D ;)

Hehe, oh yes I could, it's growing on our property :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal