We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The National Botanic Garden of Wales- 17 July 2019  (Read 1550 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
The National Botanic Garden of Wales- 17 July 2019
« on: July 19, 2019, 03:00:27 PM »
We had a few days in Wales earlier this week and fitted in a visit to The National Botanic Garden. The garden first opened in May 2000 and for some years it's continuing future was fraught by funding problems but hopefully it's more secure now. Some of it's past can be read about in an earlier thread under the Travel/Places to Visit thread of January 2008, written by 'apothecary' (Kristina) who worked in the garden at that time.

We really enjoyed our visit which was both informing and entertaining and kept us busy for the whole of our visit. W e arrived at the garden shortly after it had opened for the day (ours was only the third car in the car park) but by the time we left in late afternoon the car park was nicely filled. I can thoroughly recommend it.

First picture looking back towards the entrance.
Second:  Circle of Decision and Rill (so called because you have many choices of pathway available). Flowers close to the Rill represent the Welsh national colours of red, white and green (pics 3-5). The structure in the right-hand background is the Great Glass House (the largest single span glasshouse in the World) and I will say more about that when I get some more pics organised.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: The National Botanic Garden of Wales- 17 July 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »
I usually get quite bored in Japanese gardens but I really enjoyed this one and since I couldn't decide which pictures to use you have all of 'em in this and the next post.... sorry!

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 03:15:42 PM »
..remainder of Japanese garden pics

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 07:03:27 PM »
A few general shots around the garden:-

Firstly the Tropical House which was full of plants needing heat (so hot in fact in there that my camera misted up and I wasn't able to take any interior shots) and the most colourful Butterflies I've ever seen (that wouldn't have kept still to take a shot even if the camera hadn't been misted up)

Followed by a few general shots around the garden:-
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:26:45 PM »
Some plants I particularly liked:-

Agapanthus 'Arctic Star'
Alstroemeria 'Princess Ragna'
more Alstroemeria
Campanula lactiflora 'Pouffe'
Galega 'His Majesty'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 07:50:11 PM »
...also these.

Francoa sochifolia 'Pink Giant' and below.
Galtonia viridiflora
Limonium platyphyllum
Lonicera periclymenum 'Honeybush'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 08:07:07 PM »
... and yet more.

Lonicera periclymenum 'Honey Bush'
Lavendula angustifolia 'Hidcote Blue'
     "                 "         'Twickle Purple'
Pennisetum villosum 'Cream Falls'
Veronica 'Pink Demask'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal