We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Glaucidium palmatum  (Read 1671 times)

Roma

Glaucidium palmatum
« on: July 05, 2019, 03:37:00 PM »
When is the best time to dig up and split Glaucidium palmatum?  The flowers don't last long and are soon overtopped by the foliage.  It would be easier to move the rhodos  but I like them there.  They usually escape frosts and have good foliage so are better all year value than the Glaucidium.

648312-0
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Carolyn

Re: Glaucidium palmatum
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 04:08:22 PM »
Roma,
How do you manage it? The slugs always get my glaucidiums. I have yet to grow a plant to maturity! Your clump is magnificent, and handsome foliage too.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 05:20:03 PM »
I've successfully divided them around now, when the flowers have faded but before the seeds have ripened. They're quite easy if you get sufficient roots dug up, but even small rhizome pieces without feeder roots will survive.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
I dug up two plants this time last year and put them into large pots and kept them in a frame all winter.  Unfortunately, one of them tried to flower in January and got the buds frosted.  It took the huff and disappeared back under the compost.  However, it seems to have survived.  Its neighbour flowered well and has recently been put into a new spot with plenty of room to expand
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Roma

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 10:16:53 PM »
Roma,
How do you manage it? The slugs always get my glaucidiums. I have yet to grow a plant to maturity! Your clump is magnificent, and handsome foliage too.
Carolyn, I don't know why the slugs don't attack it.  It was very dry here when it started to grow so maybe that helped.  I don't remember how long I've had it.  I think it was possibly a division from a plant which came to the Cruickshank garden from the late Harold Esslemont's garden a long time ago.

Roma

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 10:19:14 PM »
TC and arisaema,  thank you for your comments.  I hope my friend who wants a bit can come and dig it up soon.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal