We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Subgenus Xiphium (Mathew)  (Read 3266 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Subgenus Xiphium (Mathew)
« on: May 01, 2008, 08:34:36 PM »
I'm not sure if these Irises have been re-classified since Brian Mathew's 'The Iris'

I have grown a few Dutch Iris for the last few years but I would like to begin a collection of species within the Xiphium subgenus. The RHS Plantfinder lists a few but of the enquiries I have made most of these tended to be Dutch Iris varieties, and I missed out on seed for some species in the last Seed Ex. If anyone has any spare seed of any species in this group I would be very interested in some please.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
Re: Subgenus Xiphium (Mathew)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:38:29 PM »
David, I can send you in october Iris xiphium, Iris serotina and maybe Iris filifolia. I still have Iris serotina and Iris xiphium but they are quite old and it is too late to sow, anyway if you want to try?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »
Hi Rafa, October would be great, thank you very much indeed. Seed from the Xiphium subgenus seems to be very difficult to source so if you ever find a source for seed available from Iris. boissieri, Iris juncea and |Iris tingitana would you please let me know.

Many thanks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rafa

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 10:48:41 AM »
Yes it is, some of them are protected

For example Iris boissieri there are about 750 bulbs in the wild and nobody except few person have in culture. I wrote Dr. Santiago Ortiz who study germination in vitro of this species, requesting some seeds, but it seems it doesn't like to foment this species by others.... All the localities described by  60's have dissapeared and there are just 4 or 5 in a Natural Park between Prtugal and Galicia. Any collection is Forbbiden (talking about seeds, obviously).

I think Iris juncea has even more bad wild status. In Spain is probabily extinct, also in Sicilly but maybe is common in North Africa, although I don't know anybody there, or any botanic garden. I requested Botanic Garden of Palermo (they grow it) their Index Seminum, but they never answer me. I'm sure other botanic gardens grow it and any other SRGC member.

The rest are common and easy to find, I also can send you Iris tingitana bulbs.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 07:37:57 PM »
Many thanks again Rafa, I will PM you.

Further to Rafa's comments about Iris boissieri and Iris juncea is anyone aware of members of SRGC who might be growing these plants?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Rafa

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:34:03 PM »
I know a SRGC member, but he lost last year Iris juncea (from Michael Salmon) and he is trying to increase Iris boissieri as he has very few.
I think it will be more easy to find Iris juncea than Iris boissieri, but, I afraid that there are the most rare xiphium in culture. Please let me know if you contacted anybody, there are enendemic and subendemic plants from my country, in critical endangered status and I am extremely interested
in foment as much as possible in order to collaborate in any reintroducction progams.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »
OK Rafa, will do.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal