We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Acer  (Read 713 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Acer
« on: June 26, 2019, 06:15:39 PM »
This may be a silly question, but I’m in Dumfries and Galloway this week.  A tree very close to our lodgings has bright red keys.  Is this just an ordinary sycamore?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:52:20 PM by Maggi Young »
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

François Lambert

Re: Acer
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 01:21:57 PM »
The bark make me think of not too old Acer platanoides, but the leaves definitely make me think of acer pseudoplatanus.  It's not uncommon that at this time of the year the wings of the seeds turn reddish - I think this is their sun protection for the young fast growing tissue.  The stems on which the seeds hang seem very long however.

So, i'd go for Acer pseudoplatanus.  But it may be a cultivar, I only have the 'wild' one growing nearby.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Acer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 06:22:16 PM »
Many thanks, Francois, it really puzzled me.  There were others around it that had what I have always considered normal, they are yellowish green on the trees around here, and none hang so long on the trees.  From a distance it looked like red flowers!
Thanks again
Christine
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal