We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arduaine Garden- 13 June 2019  (Read 2834 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Arduaine Garden- 13 June 2019
« on: June 23, 2019, 07:59:22 PM »
Arduaine Garden is a National Trust for Scotland garden situated in mid-Argyle on the west coast of Scotland almost between Oban in the north and Lochgilphead in the south. The 20 acre garden is "....dwarfed by the immensity of the landscape, a vast expanse of coastline, sky and sea, with isles of all sizes scattered to the horizon...." Some of these provide the only shelter to the west where the next stop is the coast of Labrador nearly 3,000 miles away.

From one of the look-outs in the garden can be seen the Sound of Jura shooting away just left of centre with a very hazy view of the island of Jura on the horizon. The mountains to the right-hand horizon are the southern mountains on the island of Mull.

647699-0

Whilst I remembered to pack my camera (well Maureen did!) I failed to remember my charging leads so only a limited number of pictures could be taken. Meaning of course that further visits will be necessary.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Arduaine Garden- 13 June 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 08:07:12 PM »
Dactylorhiza flourishing here but I didn't see any others.

Loads of Primulas in the boggier areas of the garden.

A beautiful spread of pink Rogersia which could be seen in many of the  lower parts of the garden.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »
Rhododendrons were all past their best with just a few late flowers still attached to Rhododendron degronianum ssp. yakushimanum.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:24:31 AM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 08:18:26 PM »
Just a few Mecs. and Irises. The last Iris picture is a species which has flowers at the top of a longish cane-line stem, could anyone ID it please?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:05:04 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 08:24:11 PM »
A few more to ID please if anyone can help?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »
ID's

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 11:22:24 AM »
I'll offer  some  of the easy answers!   In «Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 08:24:11 PM » you show an Olearia and I think that's a Philadelphus, with those  soft, opposite  leaves -  if it  smelled  lovely  I'm right!

And the  first  in « Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 08:26:46 PM » is  Menyanthes trifoliata, Bog  Bean.  and the  variegated strap-leaved  one  is  Phormium tenax.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:30:11 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carolyn

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »
Maggi,
I think the Phormium is cookianum,as it has arching rather than upright leaves. Also it looks as though the flowers are yellowish, not red. Tenax has red flowers.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Carolyn

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 01:24:48 PM »
Phormium tenax flowering in my garden today. The best flowering for years, I think maybe due to last year's good summer followed by a mild winter.
Carolyn McHale

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 02:55:34 PM »
Good spy, Carolyn!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 07:32:25 PM »
Thanks Maggi and Carolyn for the Olearia, Philadelphus, Menyanthus trifoliata and Phormium cookianum

Possibly the Olearia is O. traversii?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Carolyn

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 08:43:52 PM »
David,
I don't think the leaves are right for traversii. How about Olearia macrodonta, in flower now outside my kitchen and with a beautiful scent.
Carolyn McHale

majallison

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »
The yellow-flowered shrub (image between the Menyanthes & the variegated Phormium) is Leycesteria crocothyrsos.
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 07:33:44 AM »
Just a few Mecs. and Irises. The last Iris picture is a species which has flowers at the top of a longish cane-line stem, could anyone ID it please?

Looks like Iris laevigata, David.
I hope you've impressed on Mrs N the importance of packing the charging leads for the next trip ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 04:32:44 PM »
David,
I don't think the leaves are right for traversii. How about Olearia macrodonta, in flower now outside my kitchen and with a beautiful scent.

Olearia macrodonta looks spot on to me Carolyn, many thanks for your help.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal