We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ field trips December 06  (Read 12387 times)

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
Re: NZ field trips December 06
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 01:32:37 PM »
Great pictures Dave and enjoyed your furry friend (hope he didn't get prickled) Can't say I share Anthony's relish at getting rid of Mr & Mrs Tiggywinkle, although I endorse the reason.Love the super little orchid. It's good to see something in shot( 2 fingers, as in whisky & not V sign) to give it a sense of scale. It looks a much bigger plant without.
Hope to see more of your expeditions.
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2007, 08:47:17 AM »
I think that we tend to cherish our hedgehogs here. They're good slug, slater and snail foragers in the garden and so far as I know they're not a problem for native ground-dwelling birds such as the  kiwi. Their real enemies are stoat and weasel, rats and feral cats, occasionally dogs.

Roger and I did a bit of a tour in the closer parts of Central Otago today, hoping to lose the coastal showers and drizzle but they followed us all day. We went to have a look at the Sutton salt lake but were caught in a thunder and lightning storm with a massive downpour so bolted back to the car.

There were very few plants of note, - not sufficient altitude, but lots of Aciphylla aurea, Bulbinella hookeri, matagouri (Hymenanthera species) and a little celmisia, probably C. gracilenta. They're still on the camera and I'll get them uploaded tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 08:49:13 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2007, 09:17:18 PM »
But it's now Jan 2007 so I'll start a new thread.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal