We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Zantedeschia Pentlandii seed.  (Read 2021 times)

grenadier

Zantedeschia Pentlandii seed.
« on: April 07, 2019, 01:52:38 PM »
 :) I would be very grateful for Z. Pentlandii seed if anyone could help me.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

AnJo11

Re: Zantedeschia Pentlandii seed.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 10:19:44 AM »
do you know its hardiness? it is sometimes said as "very" hardy... but I don't find how much is this "very"... >:( ;)

François Lambert

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:46:26 AM »
Mine survived some frost during winter storage, together with my other tuberous Zantedeschia (Albomaculatum, Rehmannii, some hybrids, ...)

The soil in their pots was at least on the top layer solid frozen for a few days, but I don't remember how cold it was.  My best guess it was something like -6 to -8°C

But in the past I had Zantedeschia tubers of plants I bought in the garden center and these were all killed by frost.  I restarted my collection from seeds purchased on E-bay from an Australian seller
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

AnJo11

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 12:30:28 AM »
bonjour François
merci/ thanks for these indications. I think also that commercial plants are very fragile.
I'll try to find seeds ofvarieties from the coldest areas, or selected on this criterion.
I have already spotted a feet of the classic white variety that grows in the Vosges, I'm waiting for seeds or a piece of rhizome ...
But this yellow species seems to have potential ...

François Lambert

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 12:22:58 PM »
Perhaps you are referring to Zantedeschia Aethiopica - which grows from a rhizome and is pretty cold hardy.

I had one purchased at a plant exchange fair (where you exchange plants for money).  This one set seed (I was surprised, my previous Z. Aethiopica growing in the garden of my parents never set seed), which I have sown and which germinated very well - there weer also lots of seeds that had fallen nearby the plant and all germinated in spring.  I even sent some seeds to the SRGC seed exchange that year because I had so much seeds.  Two winters ago we had a very cold winter and the 'parent' plant was killed.  But some of the seedlings survived.  I think the vigor of the young seed raised plants may be one of the explanations.  I notice on many other plants that young seed raised plants don't show any of the typical deseases or weaknesses observed on mature plants (that may have been reproduced vegetatively for just a too long period of time)

So, if possible, check for fruits and collect seeds of Z. Aethiopica.  These seeds don't need cold stratification, but in my experience seeds sown as soon as ripe germinate faster & earlier than stored seeds sown in spring.

I may have seeds from my Zantedeschia Pentlandii this year, but they are growing on the same spot as all my other tuberous Zantedeschia, so I can't exclude hybridization.
Thinking of tuberous Zantedeschia seedlings, Very long time ago I sowed seeds of my Zantedeschia (the ones I got from garden center) and many seedlings made a slim, distorted green flower instead of the beauties I was hoping for.  I didn't understand why some flowers looked like that back then, but perhaps something in the parentage was causing this.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

AnJo11

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 12:12:25 PM »
sorry for late answerring, I was too busy last weeks!

usually, distorted plant is a viral/bacterial or similar problem, and usually, seeds may be free of that.
So, a genetical problem may be the reason...
incompatibility of parents, or due to self-fertilization?
I have a similar problem with a species of hellebore (H. Vesicarius) that is normally self-sterile, from which I obtained seeds by self-fertilization despite everything.
The plants were more or less deformed and many died.
But the survivors seem to have "repaired" the problems, and the next generation being cross-fertilized, I hope that the problems will be overcome.

< plant exchange fair (where you exchange plants for money) > that sound funny for french ears   :D
@

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 01:35:56 PM »
... that sound funny for french ears   :D

And Irish, unless we're being ironic ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

AnJo11

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 12:27:03 PM »
 ;D

P. Kohn

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 05:59:11 AM »
We have grown this species very successfully for many years and always have masses of seed. It will tke several more weeks before it is ready. Very easy from seed and so far bone hardy in Sheffield. Currently one of the stars of our new South African planting at Sheffield Botanic Gardens. If you are still seeking seeds, just PM me. We also have an excess of spare plants this year so could happily mail you a plant.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal