We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Greater Yellow-rattle seed  (Read 1377 times)

Tristan_He

Greater Yellow-rattle seed
« on: July 18, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
Hi, I am keen to get hold of some greater yellow-rattle (Rhinanthus alectorolophus / major  / serotinus) for my meadow areas. We saw this in large quantities flowering on holiday in Slovenia this year. Happy to swap for seed of various alpines, or can pay postage. I already have common hay-rattle (R. minor).

Many thanks in advance!

Tristan

Tristan_He

Re: Greater Yellow-rattle seed
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »
648740-0

...here's what it looks like. Much more striking than R. minor.

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:34:51 AM »
Sorry, the meadows around here have already been cut. Nevertheless, I have fresh seeds of Melampyrum arvense hich have quite the same ecology.
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:17:23 PM »
Thanks Yvain! I've sent you a pm.

Julia

• Journal Access Group
  • Past SRGC President
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »
Scotia Seeds.   www.scotiaseeds.co.uk
 is a great place to buy yellow Rattle Seed. Best to buy it in the autumn and make sure the ground is ready so you can sow it as soon as it arrives.
We always cut the grass very short and rake the whole area over so to disturb the ground and then hand sow over the grass area and then rake (lightly) again. If dry put some light irrigation onto the area. We have had great success in the meadows at the Explorers Garden/theatre Car Park meadows. Good Luck
Julia Corden
Head Gardener Goodwood Estate

ian mcdonald

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 04:04:43 PM »
Tristan, there is some on the local patch but I have been away for some time. I will have a look next week and see if there is a good quantity of seed. Due to poor management there may be only a few plants.

Tristan_He

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 10:37:17 AM »
Hi Julia, thanks but Scotia Seeds don't sell this one. I already have a good patch of R. minor and am encouraging it to establish in other parts of the garden. A very pretty and much underused plant in gardens in my opinion.

Best, Tristan

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal