We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Summering N. viridiflorus seedlings  (Read 1627 times)

Jack Meatcher

Summering N. viridiflorus seedlings
« on: April 09, 2019, 05:26:10 PM »
In 2018, I bought some N. viridiflorus and N. serotinus seeds from an SRGC member. The N. viridiflorus seeds have germinated really well and the pots look as though I sowed grass seed. The N. serotinus have also germinated and emerged well. So, Summer approaches and mature bulbs would be left dry and their pots sun-baked. I imagine seedlings might not be so tolerant of drying out completely. Should I put the pots in trays and water from below or plunge the pots in damp sand? Or will they tolerate drying out? The pots are plastic "long Tom" type. Advice appreciated.

Jack Meatcher
The Learner

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Summering N. viridiflorus seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 08:16:23 PM »
Jack you have answered your own question first year bulbs cannot survive too hot or dry a summer on the other hand they should not be too wet so keep them barley moist and perhaps they would be best kept under the bench in the shade.
You will almost certainly loose some over the summer but this is normal those that survive are more suited to your conditions.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Jack Meatcher

Re: Summering N. viridiflorus seedlings
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 08:32:04 AM »
Thanks Ian. I realised afterwards that I had probably answered my own question. Your added info is the suggestion to Summer them under the bench. Thanks again. Jack
The Learner

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal