We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrops in the sun.  (Read 2880 times)

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
Re: Snowdrops in the sun.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 01:02:35 PM »
Quite, one was enough!

David Lowndes

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
When I contacted the supplier about these bulbs I did so in the spirit of letting them know what had happened.  I did say that I was hoping they would want to replace them but I wasn’t demanding or overbearing.  I had a very nice letter back from the proprietor expressing sympathy and offering replacements without hesitation.  It was only later, when I received  two letters suggesting that it was my practice that had caused the loss of the bulbs that I began to feel uncomfortable.
There are many reasons which may explain why these bulbs perished.  I will only say that around 70 other pots containing bulbs from a range a of suppliers were treated in the same way and there were no losses.  I’ve been collecting Snowdrops seriously for about six years but I have gardened all my life.  I taught botany at Advanced level for some years.  I like to think that I do have some idea about what I am doing whilst appreciating and valuing the contribution of the experience of others.
I was left wondering why the seller would want to replace these bulbs if he was now telling me that it was my own fault.  I almost sent the replacements back but, to be honest, they were pretty limp and I doubted they would survive the return journey.  The whole thing left a bad taste.  After such a promising start I was left wondering why I was now being blamed and wished I hadn’t raised the issue.  I have not replied to the two letters because I don’t wish to engage in petty arguments but I do feel reluctant to use this supplier again. I have bought from them for three or four years now and spent a considerable sum each time. 

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 02:52:24 PM »
Dearie me, "small bulbs", "from only one supplier", "they had been quite expensive",  "now telling me that it was my own fault" and "pretty limp and I doubted they would survive the return journey".

As a marketing message it not quite on par with, "Everything we do is driven by you"!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal